Please Help ID Large Early Lights

oldwhizzer

All,

These lights were factory equipment on 1917 and 1918 Kissel Double Six Model cars. These lights were used by Kissel only on the Kissel Double Six cars, to distinguish the bodies from the otherwise identical Kissel Hundred Point Six Model 6-38 cars.

In early 1917 Kissel Kar introduced it's "Double Six" car engine, 12 cylinders, mounted in its "Hundred Point Six" chassis. For less than two years, Kissel sold a few of these monsters. The 12 cylinder engines were not reliable according to many contemporary reports, being noted for starving the outermost cylinders of oil. dealer modification was typically necessary.

Only one Kissel Double Six car survives. Its in the Fourney museum in Denver. It has these lights.

There are only three or four surviving Kissel Double Six factory pictures, including the one above. These lights are on those pictures. You can see the differences, and the lights, in these below pictures

Hope this helps.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

1918 Kissel Sedane' factory 1.jpg

1918 Kissel Sedane' Factory 5 DoubleSixSedanlet.jpg

4. 1918 Kissel Sedane' add.jpg

All,

For many orphan makes, as so many teens and twenties American marques ended up being, the private museums and marque collectors are really who maintain what history and legacy remain. Mot much written history on so many wonderful cars. In the case of Kissel, there are about 137 cars and trucks of all years (1906 - 1930) that remain, with about 80 or so owners who "know". Who is going to assume this role in a few decades? hopefully our grandchildren!

Thanks, RON

20160417_183144(0) [211742].jpg

I suspect the Kissel's , Marmon's, , Stutz's etc. of the world have a secure future.  They may be orphan's and an expensive  pita as far as parts are concerned; but they are cars that are for the most part very well engineered for their day, and generally have quite pleasing bodywork.  The same things that make them desireable and sought after today will no doubt keep them desireable and sought after to future generations. One would be quite welcome in my garage, if only my bank balance permitted it.  (audible sigh}

It's the cars that were originally at the cheap end of the spectrum {Ford excepted}  that are endangered. You know the ones, marginal engineering when new, plain styling etc. These cars when discovered today : even in decent original condition, as often as not end up as rod's or yard art. Most vintage car guy's won't even give them the time of day.  They are viewed as lackluster small scale money pits , where even the investment of a pair of seat covers will no doubt put a new owner  underwater expense wise.

These are the cars that are most likely to be lost to future generations. And I doubt many of us even involved with the largest vintage car organization in the world are all that concerned.

Just my 2 cents. 

Greg in Canada