Hi Guys,

Can someone help me decode the following:

engine numbers 5H139501and LT 187

tranny cfd1

chax 3

11-64

pan has dimples and shoe imprint - sp?

just double checking  before I order new carb

Was going with 64 carter 3363s but not sure what dates I have for the powertrain

seems that the powertrain was swapped out at one time

was sp available for late model 64 rivi and is that 11-64  on tranny pan confiming that.

thanks

Paul

Paul,

Your engine is a 1965 401 cu. in Nailhead.

To order a carb rebuild kit you should use the carb number. You most likely have a Carter AFB although it is possible you have a Rochester 4GC because Buick used both on their 401 engines.

If you have a Carter, you will find the carb # stamped on the pass front lower casting just above the mounting surface. The number you are looking for is a 4 digit number. There may be alpha characters but I dont think you will need those to order a kit.

Tom Mooney

2 hours ago, bluesy66 said:

Hi Guys,

tranny cfd1

chax 3

11-64

Was going with 64 carter 3363s but not sure what dates I have for the powertrain

was sp available for late model 64 rivi and is that 11-64  on tranny pan confiming that.

thanks

Paul

LT identifies it as a 1965 401.  Look on the (passenger's) side of the transmission for an aluminum tag for transmission identification.  11 of 64 would be a 65 build date.  On the opposite side of the transmission, look at the electrical sender for the solenoid(s).  A sender with two terminals indicates a "switch pitch" transmission.

3921 is a valid carb number for a 65 401.  5H in your serial number: 5 = 1965, H = Flint assembly plant. The last six digits should match your car's VIN.

sp1.jpg.b8ea6342718fa65f64cb210752298481.jpg

This is a tag from a 64, but the 65 tag looks the same. Yours most likely is coded BT.

IMG_0627.JPG.f2f1ad522082007fd4e940a1619b09c8.thumb.JPG.69f2d000ec7d0141492f3610197ee4a5.JPG

PS. Do yourself a favor and order a specific kit for your carb from Jon @ The Carburetor Shop the than some universal kit from your local jobbers. www.thecarburetorshop.com

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

My public apology to Tom.  When I looked this thread on the forum, Paul's post was the "first unread" and it was the last post on page 1 on my tablet.  Not until I submitted my post did i realize that there was a page 2 and Tom had already responded.  I was NOT trying to add to what Tom posted, he answered everything.

Ed

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

My public apology to Tom.  When I looked this thread on the forum, Paul's post was the "first unread" and it was the last post on page 1 on my tablet.  Not until I submitted my post did i realize that there was a page 2 and Tom had already responded.  I was NOT trying to add to what Tom posted, he answered everything.

Ed

Ed,

Please!? No apologies necessary?! I only answered the primary question re the carb kit...and you answered the poster`s question re the trans..between us, mission accomplished! Maybe now between the two of us we can convince him to join the ROA!  If he hasnt already...

Tom

• Like 1

I'll go one step further:

Here's a picture of a Carter AFB (AFB = Aluminum Four Barrel)

Image result for 1965 Buick Carter AFB carburetor

The code number is located on the base; passenger's side front bolt (this picture is NOT of a 1965 Buick carburetor)

image.jpeg.11ce7646719403d28bb1215c5f6895ce.jpeg

Make sure that when you install the carburetor that you have a stainless shield between the manifold and the gasket.  Image result for Carter AFB carburetor stainles heat shield

Rochester 4GC

Image result for 1965 buick rochester 4gc carburetor

This is copied and pasted from Jon's website (The carburetor Shop I mentioned above)

The primary method of identification of the Rochester 4G series is a triangular tag. The early 4G tags were brass. The metal was changed to aluminum sometime during late 1956~early 1957. The brass tags were brass colored. The aluminum tags had an anodized color on the top side. The color was used internally by Rochester plant employees to help in the identification of the carburetor.

A secondary method of identification, but not present on all 4G series carburetors, is a stamp on the airhorn. This stamp was the last 4 or 5 digits of the tag number.

Note in the picture below (carburetor 7007221) the presence of the tag, and in approximate of the center of the picture, the stamped number 7221.

image001.jpg

6 hours ago, bluesy66 said:

Hi Guys,

tranny cfd1

chax 3

11-64

thanks

Paul

I just wanted to ad, that your drive-train was indeed swapped.  The block number indicates it's out of a 1965 vehicle, other than a Riviera as the serial number starts with 1.  Can you take a picture of the trans id plate and the bottom of the pan?

32 minutes ago, psychostang said:

I just wanted to ad, that your drive-train was indeed swapped.  The block number indicates it's out of a 1965 vehicle, other than a Riviera as the serial number starts with 1.  Can you take a picture of the trans id plate and the bottom of the pan?

The entire VIN is NOT stamped into the block.  4, 94. 47 would precede the 5H........

4=Buick

94=Riviera

47= 2 door hardtop,

The the 5 for 1965

H for Flint assembly plant

and then the six digit VIN follows

Until you can say that this engine did not come from the car, you'll have to ascertain the VIN from the car and compare it to the last six in the Engine Serial Number.

So with the information Paul has provided and what I've stated above, his completer VIN should be 494475H139501, then only the 5H139501 appears as the Engine Serial Number on the engine block if the engine and chassis are matching.

Ed

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/65/65_vin.php

I understand that Ed, problem is that the last six numbers on the vehicle serial number for 1965 Rivieras start with 9.  His starts with 1, so this engine came out of a 1965 vehicle other than a Riviera.  :)

8 hours ago, psychostang said:

I understand that Ed, problem is that the last six numbers on the vehicle serial number for 1965 Rivieras start with 9.  His starts with 1, so this engine came out of a 1965 vehicle other than a Riviera.  :)

Correct, `65 Riv and Wildcat VIN starts with 900,000 with the exception that the first 30 (?) or so Wildcats began with 100,000

Tom

3 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Correct, `65 Riv and Wildcat VIN starts with 900,000 with the exception that the first 30 (?) or so Wildcats began with 100,000

Tom

That helps some because I couldn't find any model that started with a 1.

The Special was a 3

The Skylark was a 4

Lesabre was a 5

Wildcat was a 6 (or so what I found says, but Tom's sources state differntly)

Electra was an 8

and Riviera was a 9

The stamp that Buick used to make a 9 is a really odd shaped 9. It looks move like an upside down b standing on a _.  I'm wondering if per chance, Paul didn't take the 9 as a 1 because of that funny foot the 9 stands on. 

Hopefully, he'll post some pictures for us soon.

Ed

25 minutes ago, RivNut said:

That helps some because I couldn't find any model that started with a 1.

The Special was a 3

The Skylark was a 4

Lesabre was a 5

Wildcat was a 6 (or so what I found says, but Tom's sources state differntly)

Electra was an 8

and Riviera was a 9

The stamp that Buick used to make a 9 is a really odd shaped 9. It looks move like an upside down b standing on a _.  I'm wondering if per chance, Paul didn't take the 9 as a 1 because of that funny foot the 9 stands on. 

Hopefully, he'll post some pictures for us soon.

Ed

Ed,

You are confusing the model number with the sequential, numerical serial number.

Tom

But isn't that where the numbers originate?  Why did Riviera chose 9 to begin their six digit serial number?

I have a friend here in the KC area who has 4 or 5 1965 Buicks, one of which is a Riviera.  All of his '65's have 1 as the first of the six digits in the serial number except for the Riviera, which has a 9.  He's wondering if the 9 might be unique to cars built in Flint.  What other models were built in Flint besides the RIviera in 1965?  Is his thinking worth exploring?

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

I have a friend here in the KC area who has 4 or 5 1965 Buicks, one of which is a Riviera.  All of his '65's have 1 as the first of the six digits in the serial number except for the Riviera, which has a 9.  He's wondering if the 9 might be unique to cars built in Flint.  What other models were built in Flint besides the RIviera in 1965?  Is his thinking worth exploring?

Yes, the 900,000 serial number format is exclusive to Flint built `65 Rivieras and Wildcats, with the exception of the first handful of Wildcats. Because all `65 Rivieras were built in Flint, all `65 Riviera serial numbers have this format. All models were built in Flint... after all it was Buick`s home town. Worth looking into? Nothing to look into, take my statements to the bank, I`m quite positive they are accurate,

Tom