Kosage Chavis

1955 Buick Century

On 4/19/2017 at 8:59 PM, Kosage Chavis said:

However, it looks like I would have to template a whole new set of mounting holes on the door to have it installed correctly.

Maybe not.  The regulators are R&L as are the motors.  The only new holes I remember are for the switch and wires in the jamb.  If you install the motor and test it be careful about taking apart from the regulator with the spring wound...it will cut or amputate!  Assembly is installed with the motor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

Maybe not.  The regulators are R&L as are the motors.  The only new holes I remember are for the switch and wires in the jamb.  If you install the motor and test it be careful about taking apart from the regulator with the spring wound...it will cut or amputate!  Assembly is installed with the motor.

Forgive my ignorance Mr Willie, but what is "R&L"?  The mounting pattern on the power regulator is slightly different than what I observed on my car door.  I will post some pictures and maybe you could educate me.  Thank you Mr Willie.

Yesterday, I received the proper scoop assembly for my car.  Finally, I now have the complete air conditioning system for my car!  Only problem with this set is that the penetrating sleeves are not correct to my car.  The sleeves fit the bigger series Buicks.  But this is a very small problem.  I will use them to fabricate new ones that will fit my car.  I am leaning towards not using them anyway to avoid cutting out 2 huge holes in the body of my car.  Anyway, the scoop assembly set, compliments of Mr Mike.20170421_153427.thumb.jpg.5f6279e8c13249a63c0dfb5f66012870.jpg

• Like 5

Congrats!!!   I would definitely take Willie's recommendation and use the scoops as decor and skip putting the holes in the car.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Congrats!!!   I would definitely take Willie's recommendation and use the scoops as decor and skip putting the holes in the car.

Thanks Matt.  Yeah, I think I'm going with Mr Willie's advice in regards to the sleeves.  

If I'm ever on a scavenger hunt, I want you on my team!  ;)

• Like 7

18 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Thats why I sold em to KC. I didn't even use them as decor.

:D

• Like 2

I couldn't  help myself.  Broke away from the garage to daydream for a minute.20170423_130147.thumb.jpg.b88d91cbb13c9964c56bf135f5e4f046.jpg20170423_130207.thumb.jpg.482a523c1d7d58ac41cc0c266c467984.jpgShe gon be a baddddd car!

• Like 7

Just received another ebay part for my car.  This is the power window regulator for the rear passenger's side. 20170427_153812.thumb.jpg.0669dc52208e6558f68c18dc5567d852.jpg20170427_153825.thumb.jpg.8a58bb014e7e3b6d1766f34fb35036c3.jpgI now have both rear power regulators. I now only need 1 more front power window regulator to have the whole power window system!

Edited by Kosage Chavis (see edit history)

Can't recall but do you have the four gang master switch that goes on the corner below the windshield too?

Suspect you be getting the wiring harness for the power window setup also.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dei said:

Can't recall but do you have the four gang master switch that goes on the corner below the windshield too?

Suspect you be getting the wiring harness for the power window setup also.

Yes Sir, I have all switches (including 4-gang switch) and associated wiring harness for each window.  The only question is whether these power window sytems used relays.  I didn't see anything for relays in the electrical window schematic, but did see something in the master body manual in one of its diagrams.

I used one for a 55 to 57 Chevy power seat and power window.  It is hidden by the kick pannel, so....

• Like 1

Relay or circuit breaker?

2 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Relay or circuit breaker?

Just the relay.  Don't know much about the circuit breaker.  Do I need the circuit breaker too?  What is it for?

43 minutes ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Just the relay.  Don't know much about the circuit breaker.  Do I need the circuit breaker too?  What is it for?

You need a circuit breaker...keeps from frying you motors if the switch get caught in the up or down position.

• Like 1

Google "circuit breaker vs relay" for a detailed explanation.

Most of the time a relay is used to switch a circuit.  Your headlamps need a lot of current but you don't want that amount of current going through your headlamp switch.  So the headlamp switch activates a relay that can handle more current.   Your power seats and power windows need a lot of power and that power goes through a circuit breaker.  If the draw is too much, the breaker  "fails" and stops the current flow.   As the circuit breaker cools, it resets.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Google "circuit breaker vs relay" for a detailed explanation.

Most of the time a relay is used to switch a circuit.  Your headlamps need a lot of current but you don't want that amount of current going through your headlamp switch.  So the headlamp switch activates a relay that can handle more current.   Your power seats and power windows need a lot of power and that power goes through a circuit breaker.  If the draw is too much, the breaker  "fails" and stops the current flow.   As the circuit breaker cools, it resets.

30 minutes ago, old-tank said:

You need a circuit breaker...keeps from frying you motors if the switch get caught in the up or down position.

Thank you both.  I will look to get both items.  What does the circuit breaker look like?

7 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

What does the circuit breaker look like?

How did I know you were going to ask that?<_<:o  Anyhow a 30-40 amp should serve you well...and those even look like the original.

CIRCUIT BREAKER EXAMPLE

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, old-tank said:

How did I know you were going to ask that?

What can I say...you're a wise man Mr Willie.?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Thank you both.  I will look to get both items.  What does the circuit breaker look like?

You only need a circuit breaker.  There's no wiring provisions for a relay.  A heavy gauge hot wire from the BAT side of the fuse box to the circuit breaker

• Like 1

Received this 4-way power seat switch in the mail today (compliments of Matt).20170505_153735.thumb.jpg.7b05253ca718ed54c3c7414f85dfbfbc.jpg20170505_153753.thumb.jpg.bcc951e0edf9f795dd245845d5588267.jpgStill working on purchasing a Buick small series 4-way power seat track assembly.  It will happen...just a matter of time.

• Like 4

I might not be able to work on the Buick right now because of the project going on in the garage, but that hasn't kept me from searching for the parts I still need.  I just got these items in the mail today:

Power seat/window relay20170626_173522.thumb.jpg.c5029e71779e2f633a64750b3e799251.jpgPower window circuit breaker20170626_174317.thumb.jpg.9fb1d2f8b83e2097ce2e66a3f75d5e05.jpgand Power window pillar conduit20170626_173929.thumb.jpg.ff489990283674603e371d528de62cc4.jpgOnly item I need for the entire power system now is the front driver's side power window regulator.  All items are compliments of Mr Lamar.

Edited by Kosage Chavis (see edit history)
  • Like 3