ramair

1928 master windshield

My new purchase is a really nice 1928 Buick master 54C country club coupe with roll up windshield. I believe the windshield is original and I do not see any evidence that the glass is safety glass. I was wondering if anyone knows of a glass shop that would have the pattern for my car.  I would rather have the glass in hand before I take apart. 

image.jpeg

Check with the guy at:

http://www.classicflatglass.com/

They were able to supply all the glass for my 1930 model 68 at a reasonable price and the quality was excellent.  Their online selection app only goes as far back as 1930, so you will probably need to contact him for prior years.  If you are still driving around with the original factory plate glass, that stuff is extremely dangerous.  I accidentally broke my original windshield while on the bench and it exploded into a million very sharp slivers and shards.  It is not surprising that Buick (and the other manufacturers) developed safety glass, as I imagine the plate glass killed and maimed quite a few people prior to the change.  

Thank you, I have sent him a email and hopefully he has the pattern. Did the glass that you purchased from him have a noticeable logo as many of the modern cars have some etchings? Did you replace all of the glass and if you did was it tempered or laminate on the balance of Windows? Would like to hear from anyone that has changed windshield with the Fisher ventilation system as my car has the track that allows windshield to raise and lower.

I believe the safety glass may even crack, so I avoid raising my windshield. I just try to avoid that by opening all the other side windows, and making sure there is nothing "loose" in the car.  Make sure they have the right thickness for your channel in the regulator. 

John

I have had windshields on both my 26 and 27 replaced. I just took glass out and glass shop made one from the old windshield. Fit perfect. Around $90 last year. No job to remove and replace. Good Luck

Are there different thickness avaliable? The manual says that the bodies use between 5/32 and 9/32, not to worry because it can be compensated by adjusting garnish mouldings ? I will measure my windshield thickness today. I read in the service manual about windshield removal, could someone tell me the procedure as the manual is brief. Nice to know about how hard it is to remove crank and if the channels are reusable and if not we're is the best place to get them

Ramair,

Check to see if your car had safety glass installed. I had the same concerns and learned of the "nickel test" which showed that my glass was indeed safety glass in my 31.

This is a link to that thread. 

In any case the procedure for removing the windshield was a piece of cake. A body manual has the procedure.

Here is something that might interest you. I hope you can get enough resolution off this old poor copy when you zoom in. Bob's Automobilia repro's these decals , correct for your '28. My '27 Cadillac sedan still preserves the originals , somewhat different in that no patent numbers were yet granted. "Patent Pending". I hope the subject car in this almost 40 year old S.I.A. article is still intact. (Probably someone still has the mag. - this copy came to me with the car).  Speaking of decals and windshields , I have a very attractive old 2 sided decal on my windshield. I am naturally quite fond of it , and want to display it. Therefore , I have a sheet of plastic I attach to the windshield for driving. 5 suction cups keep it about an inch off the windshield. I can still raise the windshield enough for "air conditioning". You know how well "V V" works !  - Carl

image.jpeg