Water Distribution Tube

Frank DuVal

I thought I saw a picture of how to make a water distribution tube for a '38 Sharknose, but I can not find one doing a Google search. Is it in the club files?

Any tricks on removing one? I have the supercharger drive off to fix  a problem with that, when I noticed the water pump leaking, so that is now off (and rebuilt), so I was thinking it is a good time to pull the tube.

Frank DuVal

• 5 months later...

SO, 5 months later and I still have a water distribution tube stuck in the block.

Really now, any hints?

Is there another Graham Forum?

It is not specific, except that the Graham uses a round tube.

I had been searching the other  forums back then. But, I took another look and found where it was suggested to drive a flat bar next to the tube. Of course that is because most other tubes are flat on one or more sides.

So taking a hint, I sliced a piece of 3/4" EMT (electric thin conduit) and used that to drive next to the Graham tube. It took a lot of hammering to drive this tool in. I used Visegrips mounted to a slide hammer (3 pounds?) to pull it out. Kept going around the tube, going in an inch further each time.

Success! The tube is out. I used needle nose Visegrips on the slide hammer to pull the tube.

Lots of holes that are not supposed to be there, plus partially filled with crap. All the holes in the sandblasted picture are NOT supposed to be there!

Now to find the directions to make a replacement tube.

Tool in use Small.jpg

Tool Top View Small.jpg

Partially Out Small.jpg

Bottom Holes small.jpg

• 1 month later...

I made the new tube from a piece of ACR copper tubing (.062 wall or so) per directions found by being a member of WOKR.

After steam cleaning the block, it fits great.

Now to finish reassembling the supercharger drive shafts after I changed the "water pump" bearing in the idler assembly.

I am also making a new water pump backing plate out of 1/8" steel plate, as the original is extremely pitted from years of sitting with water in the system.

A simple job turns into many many other small jobs.:D

Frank DuVal

Complete Tube straight.jpg