Sign in to follow this  
TxBuicks

Buick Rescue - 1998 LeSabre

Another Buick Rescue project found me the other day.  A guy I work with (Brendan) told me about this 1998 LeSabre for sale.  His friend (Judson), who has a business selling off-road Jeeps and Trucks, took it in as a trade-in.  Brendan was just visiting Judson's shop and saw it.  He knew about my interest in Buicks.  Judson didn't know what to do with it and didn't know anything about Buicks.  He just wanted to get rid of it. Brendan gave me Judson's phone number the next day at work. I contacted Judson and offered him to opportunity to donate it to someone in need.  He was receptive to that idea and told me he would sell it for what he took for trade-in, $1,000, to someone who really needed it.  I then put the word out and immediately found a person (Tom) that had just totaled his previous Mitsubishi.  He was rear-ended.  He needed a car to get to work and had very little money to get one.  I drove him to see the car the next day and he immediately fell in love with it.  It is quite a step up from his old Mitsubishi. As you can tell by the pictures, it was well maintained by the 62 year-old previous owner.  It had 137,000 miles on it, but it had new tires and drove like it was brand new.  The deal was made on the spot and Tom drove it home. Since Judson was a dealer, he even took care of the tax, title, and license fees on the spot.  Everyone was happy, and another Buick found a good home.  I can't think if a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

1998 LeSabre Engine.jpg

1998 LeSabre - Left.jpg

1998 LeSabre - Right.jpg

1998 LeSabre Driver Seat.jpg

1998 LeSabre - Back Seat.jpg

• Like 2

137k is NOTHING for that car.  Other that the intake issue that those 3800s had (ours was about a $300 fix) they are great.  My mom had one she bought used, gave it to my sister at 300k.  My sister drove it to 400k miles and she doesn't maintain anything!  She sold it running for $500 to some folks that drove it home.   Excellent cars!

• Like 1

I have a 99 Park Ave. that I have owned for 15 years,other than putting a

new intake Manifold on it at about 55,000 miles it has been a very good car.

and the gas mileage for the ride and comfort you get is well worth it he will be

happy with it I,m sure.if it,s a Buick it,s got to be good.

• Like 1

DEFINITELY a good deal!!  Everybody's happy!  No doubt, the new owner will realize and come to realize that his mpg in the Buick will be at least as good as in his Mitsu, not to mention the increased comfort and EASE of driving.

Everybody's smiling!

NTX5467

• Like 1

A few of the things which make these Buicks so "cheap to keep" (a phrase which Toyota used in the 1980s, for their cars) were the "normal" 15" tires (which are less expensive to buy!) and the only (approx.) 4.5 quarts of motor oil oil change (rather than 6++ quarts of more recent engines!!). other than the excellent fuel economy of the Buick 3.8L/3800 V-6 engines.  The FEW engine-related issues (lower crankshaft balancer pulley/hub and "interrupter" magnet, intake manifold issues in some model years) are well-known and EASY to fix . . . compared to some of the issues with later engine families.

I know that many younger people can tend to overlook these Buicks due to their "older demographic" image, BUT these vehicles were popular with their grandparents for some of the same reasons the younger generations could appreciate (at a time in their lives where the same issues could present themselves), namely MONEY.  Inexpensive to purchase, usually an "estate car" of sorts (which means good condition), enough room to take people with them on their adventures, enough TRUNK space for "extended adventures" with others to enjoy them with, and usually an EASY 30mpg on the highway.  NOT to forget COMFORT!  Of course, this is IF they can look beyond things which can cause "distracted driving" (i.e., electronic devices, no USB ports).  A few years ago, the local newspaper had an article on a local bull rider/rodeo competitors who was "doing the rodeo circuit".  He was successful, but the fuel costs were significant, so he'd transitioned from a pick-up truck to a "car".  The car pictured was an older Buick LeSabre.  He had enough extra room to take another competitor with him (to share costs), enough room for their "gear" (which the Buick's trunk probably swallowed without burping), and that the cost decreases helped him make more events.  He didn't seem too concerned about "the image" of driving a car rather than a truck-based vehicle, but I seem to remember BEFORE the SUV craze hit, that many similar older competitors drove Cadillacs and Lincolns for their "show", comfort, and trunk space. 

Good job, Roy!

NTX5467

• Like 1

I have rescued several of these 1990's LeSabres and Park Avenues now.  I am always trying to explain the virtues you list above.  People hear the word 'Buick', and when they see the car for the first time, they are not too excited.  But they really need a car, and reluctantly take it.  But once they own it for a while they won't have anything bad to say about them. They are good, dependable, comfortable, and affordable transportation.  When you're  desperately looking for a car, what more could you want?