1955 Engine Rebuild

KAD36

Car originally did not have gaskets from factory.  They were added many years ago to fix a minor leak after the first replaced head work was done and installed with minimal torque, want to say like  5-8 ft lbs it stayed sealed for 20 years, no cracks or other issues.  I think if you don’t crank it down it will be fine if you choose to use them.

Ran the “new to me manifolds” on recent rebuild  down a belt sander to flatten it but it was a little “gappy” hence why I put the gaskets back on.

Have observed both sides of the gasket argument. Mine are those fiber type not metal. Also a skim coat of high temp sealer has been known to work on metal to metal.

Regarding advice,  look on the Buick forum for those of us who begin where others quit and persevere to get those camshaft specs right.  Whoops. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, KAD36 said:

Regarding advice,  look on the Buick forum for those of us who begin where others quit and persevere to get those camshaft specs right.  Whoops.

Since you brought it up, I dropped my cam specs in the Nailhead Facebook group a while back and they admitted that all 264/322 cam grinds are the stock 56 Dynaflow 322 camshaft. Could have saved you some time if they told you what it was when you bought it, but then people would know it would be pseudo false advertisement. Just like piston domes not being correct, then later replying with "lower compression is better for using modern pump gas." Okay, we understand that, but that's not what we wanted...

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes sir.

Thank you again for posting the profile of your cam.  Got the fuzz off it. :)

Incidentally that blended cam answer you got being representative of a 56 is likely suspect.  Based on conversations my hunch is the Lobe Separation Angle of those blended cams is 114 for a nice smooth idle vs the 111/112 LSA on a factory 56 cam that gave a hint of a lopey idle. 

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)