Jump to content

Body Back On


Guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

Frame, suspension and brakes are done. Wheels freshly painted and a brand new set of tires. Just put the body back on.

 

20160428_190750.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it better or easier to paint if you mount the body before painting or paint the body and then mount it? Seems like a lot of masking to paint after it's positioned?  What are your opinions. Also is it better to mount the tires and then paint the rims or to try to mount tires on newly painted rims? I was able to mount my Model A tires on painted rims by hand with no tools but I don't think I'll get a 6:00 x 16 tire on with no tools! Car's looking good Greg!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greg looking good. 

 

Jpage I just had my wheels powder coated and then mounted a set of 650-16's to them.  I just took them to the best high performance shop in the area that is used to doing $1K wheels.  they did a great job of mounting and balancing.  All weights in the back out of view.  Next after a few miles I will take them back to be trued.  should be like riding on air when I am done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My only question is are you going to lift the body off again in order to install the drive components or are you going to work around the body when installing them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like your floor. I have one just like it and loved the way it looked before I spent a few years working on it.

I bought one of those commercial floor buffers and every couple of years I take EVERYTHING out of the shop and spend a day on the floor.

Alas, it will never be the same as when new.

Car looks good, I like the milestone days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jpage said:

Is it better or easier to paint if you mount the body before painting or paint the body and then mount it? Seems like a lot of masking to paint after it's positioned?  What are your opinions. Also is it better to mount the tires and then paint the rims or to try to mount tires on newly painted rims? I was able to mount my Model A tires on painted rims by hand with no tools but I don't think I'll get a 6:00 x 16 tire on with no tools! Car's looking good Greg!

Jim, it was a judgement call. I could have done it either way. The engine is at the machine shop right now. I thought about having the body painted on a dolly and then bolting it to the frame but figured I'd run more of a risk of bumps and scrapes so I mounted it first. I don't think masking will be too difficult. Also, there is plenty of room to work with, reinstalling the drive train. I had the wheels painted, let them set up for a week and then had the tires mounted, came through without a scrape. Thanks for the positive words.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, keiser31 said:

My only question is are you going to lift the body off again in order to install the drive components or are you going to work around the body when installing them?

Plenty of room to work around the body when reinstalling the drivetrain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

I like your floor. I have one just like it and loved the way it looked before I spent a few years working on it.

I bought one of those commercial floor buffers and every couple of years I take EVERYTHING out of the shop and spend a day on the floor.

Alas, it will never be the same as when new.

Car looks good, I like the milestone days.

Thanks Jack, I put that floor down about 10 years ago and it's really held up well. I used good old fashioned thick linoleum squares and glue. I do the same every couple of years, clear everything out, mop, wax, buff and it comes up great!

Thanks for the words of encouragment. 

Edited by Guest (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is what we did on the 31 a few years ago.

It is on the frame blocked up a bit.

Also part of the abuse of that floor. Ha Ha

You can see part of the hood outside along with fenders etc. which in under the deck. (real pros as you can tell). LOL

IM002346.JPG

IM002345.JPG

IM002463.JPG

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...