1940 Limited headed to the mountains

CHAD THOMAS

Taking a weeks vacation to Colorado this summer and thinking about taking my 40 Limited to drive once I am there. Question is how much will the altitude affect it?

Starting out in Denver but headed over the divide to Grand lake for most of the week with one side trip to Glenwood Springs.  The car is driven extensively here in the lowlands with no known issues. 

There was a discussion here last week about taking a '38 over the Sierras. It seems the consensus was that the car should be OK, but it would be prudent to bring carburetor parts needed to compensate for extreme altitude. 

Not a Buick, but I've had my low land 1933 Plymouth in the mountains above 8000 ft a number of times with no noticeable issues. There are higher paved roads than that in Colorado including some fairly main passes, but I would not expect problems other than the reduced power output (normally aspirated internal combustion engines lose power with altitude).

You will be running rich which may foul the plugs faster and if you were to move there you'd want to put in different carburetor jets to correct that. But for a visit it should not be a problem.

Should be OK. The 1940 has a decent and simple carburetor. A big group of us drove to the 2009 Nationals in Colorado Springs. We went over several passes including 10,000 and 11,000 feet elevation. The cars had some loss of power but otherwise drove OK. 

Enjoy the trip !

Chad,

My '40 LTD lives at 8500 ft and though I really should go .002" down on the "mains", I have not yet done it.

I do clean the plugs twice a year and they do come out black, but I think that is from just putting around as well.

We are in Buena Vista, about an hour south of the Minturn exit, which you will go by on your way to Glenwood springs.

If you have time, stop by, for some mountain hospitality.

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015
more info (see edit history)

Slightly apprehensive about taking the car but I have to keep telling myself it will never be more than 200 miles from the tow vehicle. 

I have no fears driving it halfway across the state here so what is the difference? Mental road block for me. But I am going to do it. One highlight for me will be driving it from Grand Lake to The Stanley in Estes Park for a bloody mary on the veranda! 

Mike, not sure I will have time to drop down to see you. We are going to Glenwood Springs to hike up to Hanging lake again. 2 years ago we did it but did not take enough water along and my 74 year old mother could not complete the hike. 2 years later and 6 months after completing Chemo treatments she is going to do it again! I will pack lots of water.