1931 Plymouth

12 hours ago, 51Baldeagle said:

O.k. try this with no results today

plus alot of running around looking for a tool like this one no luck I'll try again tomorrow will keep you all posted wondering if a ford model T puller will work, there is one on ebay but hate to buy it an not the same.

raw-1.jpg

raw-1.jpeg

There are a lot of Model T's around. Find some one local and take one of you hub caps and see if it fits the Model T Hub threads

Guy's  we are done this morning went to work on it again, a friend of mine came over it took one hit with the sledge hammer it came out we found out that the wheel cylinders we're stuck,  we rebuild both rear and wow! it stops on a dime and gives you change, lol thanks again guys.

raw-4 (14)-1.jpg

raw-3 (8)-1.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice streetrod the gentleman I bought the car from had suggested me to turn it into a streetrod, but I told him if I can start it up I will leave it alone, I did so im driving all original having a blast getting a lot of thumbs up, its been a challenge but thanks to the guys on this forum it's been great,  had my starter rebuilt yesterday today I'll replace it. 

• Like 1

You did exactly the right thing to do in keeping it original. The street rod one does go to a lot of proms and weddings. Just finding the parts to make it resemble a 30U again was a chore so the running gear and chassis went modern but at least it can be identified. A few "before" pics:

34 chrome parts 012.jpg

34 chrome parts 017.jpg

34 chrome parts 014.jpg

34 chrome parts 015.jpg

Question mcdarrunt I noticed the windshield on your model u like mine, opens or is it that it was off the frame, very nicely made im also a streetrodder too nice job I also bought this 1927 Chrysler touring basket case I'll post some pics I do have the doors, radiator and shell.

raw-2-1.jpg

• Like 1

Windshield is off the frame and just sitting in opening. Something weird happening here, we both worked a 30U and now I'm doing a 27 Chrysler Roadster with the exact same Touring(?) car you have as a parts car. It's in a storage container on the farm but will get a pic next time I'm up there. Nearly same condition as yours but with the wood spoke wheels.

Yes sir this one already has Chevrolet  axels, guy don't say anything to me before they would say I'm crazy,  bought a 1936 ford 4dr that was used for a moonshine transport according to story behind it, it was all rusty though even the frame got another frame it my next project to put it together as a streetrod/rat rod. This is a after I put it together to drive around, now I torn it down replace frame, reared with a mustang rear, flathead out replacing with a 4.3 with automatic transmission. 

Screenshot_2016-05-08-14-23-43-1.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had my friend that lives in Mission and does cross border business handle the ins and outs of the border crossing. Required the mandatory "tips" totaling about $350 to grease the wheels (and palms). I get all my titles through the Oklahoma Title 42 Law which takes about 16 weeks but is less than a bonded one and 100% legal. It does require an Oklahoma mailing address (not box) but since one of the guys that works for me still has his fathers shop in Lawton, OK, it's not a problem.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys hope you all doing Great, now I'm working on a spare rim, if it doesn't work I guess I'll have to buy one at the swap meet in Ok.

Oh! Can anyone identify these fenders, I think they are Dodge just not sure thanks.

Thanks Keiser 31, I appreciate you, I have a motor and transmission I'm not taking to the swap meet its off a 29 dodge, if anyone interested. 

• 1 month later...

ThaHey guys hope you all doing Great, now I'm working on a spare rim, if it doesn't work I guess I'll have to buy one at the swap meet in Ok.

Oh! Can anyone identify these fenders, I think they are Dodge just not sure thanks.

Hello guys well now I'm going to see where I can find a water pump seems it's leaking right at shaft, probably the bearing or seal not had time to really check it will keep you posted. 

19 hours ago, 51Baldeagle said:

Hello guys well now I'm going to see where I can find a water pump seems it's leaking right at shaft, probably the bearing or seal

4 minutes ago, 51Baldeagle said:

Well still hunting for a water pump, will take it off today and see if there's a place here in town that can rebuilt it, hate to send it out and get it lost, to be continued. 

There should be a packing adjuster nut at the front of the shaft.  If it is a very minor drip of water leak, you can tighten the nut a bit.  That was normal service during car maintenance.

If the car was not used for decades, the packing may be too hard or stiff.  In that case, you replace the rope-like packing with new packing.

When you unscrew that packing nut out, you use thin ice-pick type tool to dig out the old packing.  Then see if the shaft is rusty-pitted where the packing was,  If it is Ok, and if the shaft is not sloppy up and down, just put new packing in with lube.

There is an old-time "house well water pump" place in our area.  That type of business would have rope packing.  Another place that should have something, is a "hydraulic rebuild shop" that fixes construction hydraulic pumps, cylinders, and valve bodies.  They should have some rope packing for the older vintage valve bodies.

Thanks F&J will do that yes there's a hydraulic place I'll check into, man! Thanks for info. 

Hey guys hope you all doing Great, now I'm working on a spare rim, if it doesn't work I guess I'll have to buy one at the swap meet in Ok.

• 1 month later...

HI guys hope guys are great Hot in Texas not to 100% yet,  back again radiator issues I finally had time to install the rope on water pump nut, now I having bubbles coming out of cap like it's getting hot, only different thing I did was the rope and replace the metal hose with a regular rubber hose to fit as originally was having leaks so decided to chang maybe not a good choice any advice.  

20160327_165557.jpg

• 10 months later...

HI guys I been out, well fix the water pump so I thought well temporary enought to attend some shows. Then front bushing went out plus drain plug start leaking, taking apart again having a machine shop here in town overhaul it and radiator fix. First pic our sons wedding.

Second Carfest in San Antonio TX 

Having some Great fun with it stay safe and keep driving them don'the park them.

20180222_174918-1.jpg

20180407_113731.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Ruben ! Long time no see. It always makes me happy to see you out having so much fun with your original old sedan. Here are a couple pics I took out having fun with mine. It is a 1927 Cadillac. I like going out to dinner with it. Ladies seem to go crazy over it also. Good to see you back with us !     - Cadillac Carl 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Great looking 27 Cadillac Carl, yes sir we have been busy with the club. We had 50 some cars at Carfestsa.org  

We also help out the Transportation museum with some cars at same show, now getting ready to take a trailer to the New Braunfels Swap meet. Busy months help it does rain at the swap meet, God bless keep those cars going don't park them.

Edited by 51Baldeagle
mispell (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

O.k. update on water pump on it's way to the Flying dutchman in Oregon. Update Water came out great, now starter challenges already spend close to $300. bucks nada. I was recently given a 1932 silver dome eng.and transmission will keep as backup, I install the start in the my Plymouth works great.

• 10 months later...

Hello! hope all of you all doing great, well had a problem with the motor on my 31 Plymouth. I had a valve get stuck, open up the side cover tap it and it open work for a while but same problem again. thinking of switching engines to the 28-29 silver dome, only thing is will the drive match up with the 30-31. Only thing is this motor doesn't have a water pump.  

did this as last resort.

bath 1.jpg

bath 2.jpg

bath3.jpg

Not sure how spraying oil where the tappet contacts the valve will make any difference on a sticking valve. Seems to me that the sticking would most likely be between the valve stem and the valve guide. Second most likely would be the tappet sticking. Taking the head off, removing the valve and cleaning or reaming the guide would probably fix it. If you have a valve spring lifter and the correct size reamer, and nothing unexpected comes up, it probably would take less time to do that than it took you to rig all that plumbing.

Thank you ply33 for the advise i have contacted a friend of mine that has a machine shop that will be our next step thanks again.

i was even. thinking of switching engines to the 28-29 silver dome that i have, only thing is will the driveshaft match up with the 30-31, this motor doesn't have a water pump gets pretty hot here in Texas.

• 4 years later...

Well hello from San Antonio Tx, Merry Christmas and a happy new year,  here again with my 31 Plymouth model U,  recently my water pump went out after 5 years of driving the car. I took it off found out the oil and Grease I was applying on filling tube was not going anywhere. The bushing installed were not perforated bushings,  Graphite Packing Rope was not applied, instead Teflon tape. All good now great learning experience on breaking down and putting together my water pump, let's ride and enjoy it again. 

20231211_081527.jpg

20231211_161056.jpg

Screenshot_20231213_065840_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20231213_070350_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231213_070511_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231213_070548_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Well guys after weeks of trying to fix an old worn out water pump.

Here's an update. Decided to regroup and figured out a newer pump approach. Surfing for water pumps I came across a 1961 JEEP had to make modifications but here are the end results. 

20240110_155618.jpg

20240112_081225.jpg

image000000.jpg

• Like 1