still again: 1909? mystery vehicle

My guess would be a 1911 Cadillac Torpedo Touring. The body appears to have a rib that runs horizontally half way up the body. The rib I believe can partically seen on the front door. If there is no rib then the car would be a regular Touring car. That's my guess. <BR>Note:<BR>The Ohio Historical Society in Columbus has records covering all Ohio license plates from 1908 up through about 1922. The books are hand written ledgers with the license number, owners name and address, county, mfg. of car, s/n, hp. <BR>Do the records exist for Penna? As the photo has a PA plate.

The thing that doesn't seem to fit is the cowl is a different shape...did the Cadillac Torpedo have this shape of cowl....the standard 1911 Cadillac Touring had a more straight cowl shape norwich.car.jpg . It sure seems to be a Cadillac and the fact that it has a hand crank indicates it's no latter than a 1911.<P>Does anyone out there have a photo of a 1911 Cadillac Touring Torpedo???<P>Ross Porter

Ross<BR>I thought about the cowl being rounded on a 1911 Cadillac Torpedo touring. I know it is rounded on a 1913 Torpedo. The front doors were not as high as the rear doors on a 1911 Cadillac 5 pass Touring. That's why I was leaning towards a Torpedo Touring with the rib. It may not be a Cadillac at all. Sure is close if not.<p>[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: Charles Kulchar ]

Charles,<BR>A) I really think this is some kind of a Cadillac. The Hull family owned (2) Cadillac "limousines" (this isn't really a limousine I know, that they used to bring customers to the Norwich department store.<BR>B) I may have my termanology messed up. I am referring to the wooden section beneath the windshield. It is curved whereas the Cadillac Touring is flat across the top. <P>C) I am attaching a photo with captions to clear up my lack of proper antique auto terms. mystery.car.jpg <P>We need to prperly identify the automobile if possible. Thanks again Charles for your help so far. <P>Ross<BR><A HREF="http://www.smethporthistory.org/norwich/norwich.department.htm" TARGET=_blank>Hull's store</A> rossporter@smethporthistory.org

Ross<BR>I sent a email to George Kaforski. He maybe able to identify. Wayne Leonard would know for sure. The front hub cap looks different than Cadillac.<BR>Charley<p>[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: Charles Kulchar ]

Ross<BR>Here's the reply from George Kaforski:<P>Charlie,<BR> <BR>I looked at the car in the photo. In my opinion it's a 1911 Cadillac, with a non Cadillac windshield. In fact even the color photo someone attached to their email reply has a non Cadillac windshield on it. 1911 and 12 used a flatish type windshield which I've never seen on anything but an '11 or '12 Cadillac. The dash is correct for an open door touring. In fact my guess is that it's a 1911 Cadillac open door touring car with a non factory supplied windshield and probably has what I call "add on front doors". These were not that uncommon for people to buy who drove their car in colder weather. I don't believe it's the torpedo style of body, since that style did not have any outside door handles on any of the doors. Also, I've never seen a real 1911 Torpedo body style except in the catalog. Also the torpedo was a metal body and I've only seen wood bodies on '11's except for the metal cowl on the demis. I know in '12 they made them, and I've seen them, but not any 1911 in that body style have I ever seen. Also the steering wheel appears to be hard rubber as opposed to wood, and 1911 was the only year for that. The hubcaps I can't see good enough to say. At first glance the front one doesn't look correct, but the picture isn't that clear to be sure. The crank is '11, only used that type that year. Also the one grease fitting you can see on the front frame was only used in 1911.<BR> <BR> <BR>George

George,<P>Very IMPRESSIVE!!<P>THANKS so much! This makes all the pieces fit together!! <BR>This photo will soon become part of our GIANT virtual history project. Charles Hull owned a very large department store in a now totally vanished ghost town called Norwich, PA.<BR>"Charles Hull was the manager, he kept two Cadillac limousines with chauffeurs to transport his lady customers. They were picked up at their homes, taken to the store for shopping and hen returned to their homes with their purchases." <A HREF="http://www.smethporthistory.org/norwich" TARGET=_blank>GHOST TOWN</A><P>We have a few more unidentified photos that I would like to work on pretty soon.<P>ROSS PORTER<BR>historic Smethport PA