Breeze Carburetor Tips

MochetVelo

Any tips for operating the Breeze carburetor on the Model 20 Hupmobile? My Breeze was rebuilt and tested. I installed it on my car and it started right up, but hasn't started since. The carb is getting fuel, as it drips off the bowl when I push the "tickler" button. I don't smell gas out the tailpipe, however. Priming cups don't seem to help. I get a good spark and compression, and I think timing is correct. 

Phil

IMG_1218.JPG

Had the same problem 

First check the air valve is  only just open  -otherwise you will be sucking air and the mixture will be too lean to ever  fire.

Open the needle  dial about 1.5 turns as a starting point . To start I open  it another half turn .

I then flood the carb and turn the motor over  2 or 3 times with the mag off. The  re flood the carb  and turn the mag on and spin it over   Normally  fires first pull. The I turn the needle dial back a 1/2 turn until the car runs nicely . Karl

I'll try that, Karl. I got a copy today of the 56-page "Carburetors and Engine Troubles", the 1912 6th edition of the Breeze manual. It doesn't mention the Hupmobile, but the carburetors illustrated are very close in design.

Phil

I closed off the auxiliary air valve and opened the mixture screw a couple turns. I cheated a bit with a little starting fluid. After about a dozen tries and a few sputters, the motor started running on its own! Turning down the mixture valve increased the speed. After a couple minutes, It finally died, but I'm encouraged. 

Phil

G,day Huppers . With the Breeze the throttle butterfly does not close against the body of the carb.It can go right round  you have to set it with the stop screw which is on the manifold so that the butterfly is opening the instant the lever is advanced. If it is on the wrong side it will close.. I cant see a stop screw fitted on this job. The air valve spring needs to be as weak as will keep the valve totally closed when cranking but as soon as the throttle is advanced it must start to open. For starters, take  out the hot air plug and leave it out for now. Start the water drip and shove the hose of the nearest headlight up the hole uncovered by this plug If all else fails put your oxy torch up this hole and have someone crank while you open the acetylene valve a little. The engine should instantly start. If no acetylene then get a spray can of brake clean and try that. Don't breathe the exhaust fumes! Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia

Nice tips, Max. I like the acetylene idea. I have a welding set right next to the car, so I'll try it. I see where the throttle stop screw should go, so I'll add one. I was also thinking of adding a coil spring to the throttle arm near the carburetor to make for a more positive return to the idle setting.

Phil