Ben Bruce aka First Born

Modified 263 for my 1950 41D

Thank you, Bill. May try that. 

Had a successful day at Pete's  yesterday. Came home with a head , flywheel and flywheel housing. Pressure plate and clutch disc as well. May not use them, though. Will look in to using a more modern pressure plate.

I have to tell on us. Forgive me, Pete.   We had to remove the flywheel and cover from the engine. And like two old pros, we started WRONG. There is a reason the shop manual is there. READ the darn thing and then REMEMBER!  There are two bolts, up inside the flywheel housing that can only be removed after the flywheel. I knew this. So remove the fly wheel. Only the flywheel will not come off the bolts holding it to the crank. Just not enough room. May have to grind the bolts off. Surely the engineers did not intend that. Besides, how did they get them in there?   Solution??  Read the shop manual. Again.   " to remove the flywheel , the rear main cap MUST be removed".   Then the fly wheel to crank bolts will come out, the fly wheel will almost fall off.  I KNEW THAT. [ SLAP TO FOR HEAD]   I found that out when assembling the 248 in my car now, after installing the oil pan!  For goodness sakes, old man THINK.   So, re move the oil pan, rear main cap, which by now had a couple bolts,   that we had tried to knock out ,  hanging it up. Then all went as it should.  Just a couple of oily hours and a smashed thumb longer than need be. 

But a good day with Pete and a good Mexican meal next door. If only I was a couple hours closer.

Thanks, Pete

Ben 

• Like 1

Neat sounding project, Ben. Just tonight I was talking about how much fun it would be to "build" one of these straight eights and hang some modern go fast stuff on it!

Dale, the crank, at least on my 320 is over 100 lbs, I'm sure the smaller engine is only a bit lighter. Never been a weight lifter, and I'm too old to start! That's why I have a young and fit son in law. I did some body work on his old beater, and he does me the odd favour helping me with heavy lifts.

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks ,Keith

Still not much to report. I have taken the rotating "assembly" to the machinist who did the crank for balancing. Last word on the cam was "maybe" next week. Not much I can do until these two things are complete.

Still trying to figure out the brackets for AC compressor and PS pump.

Ben

Brackets, have you check with VINTAGE AIR?

They seem to have explored a ton of different engines, MAYBE.

My 41 has air, but NO STRAIGHT EIGHT,  hehe.  For some reason, I JUST don't see YOU doing a Vette engine swap, NO I just don't see that happening.  

Dale

Probably not on the CHEVY swap!!  But what better car to do it on?  Four door, universally looked down on. Special, bottom of the line. But I will stay with the REAL BUICK engine.  IF I was to swap engines into an old Buick, would probably be a Nailhead.  Maybe a 500 CI Cadillac. CHEVY????  NEVER.

Ben

• Like 3

I wouldn't OPEN the hood, YOU might get an upset tummy, hehe. 

But I would lite em up!!!  The tires that is.

Could I touch the V----?  As payment,,,,,,,Gently, with gloves on?

Thank You Ben,

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

CAM IS HERE!!!  To late for any work or pictures. The Lifters are all dis assembled. I guess that will be an hour or two!

Probably not much will get done this weekend. Honey doo , you know.

Ben

• Like 2

Proceed I did. Slightly.  NOT over the long weekend, though.   Tuesday morning I took a copy of the cam card to the machine shop so they can finish the head.   Came home and proceeded to drill holes in the block.   Kinda sorta.   I decided a long time ago to modify the oil system into a full flow filtering system.  So, therefore, drill some holes!!   Pictures later.

Now ,if I can get myself organized, on to assembly.  Head should be completed this week,  Hopefully the rotating assembly will be balanced as well.  Then throw it together!!

Ben

• Like 3

Ben, YOU are going to fool around and end up KNOWING what you are doing.

Don't ya just love doing those tasks that you don't know how to do?  I do, they are such a LEARNING EXPERIENCE.

Keep on progressing, and say HI, to the 'visor' for me, huh?

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

Only if it reads, DALE LAMAR SMITH, it's STARTING to grow on me,,,,,,

Be careful, with the added HP your straight eight will have, that visor may act as a wing, and off in the wild blue yonder you go.

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

Ben, sent you a PM, let me know if you don't receive.

I hit the enter key, and it disappeared off the monitor, so not sure it went thru.

I struggle with pulling up my SENT PM'S.  I can find received PM's, but not SENT.

Dale in Indy

Finally , I am back!!

The call I was waiting for came. Your STUFF is ready.   So drove the Buick to the machine shop and picked up the head and "rotating assembly".   Don't you like that phrase?   

Installed the cam this morning. Plugged the main oil galley ends.

The holes for the full flow oil filter.   If one is familiar with the straight eight, this is self explanatory.    If not, indulge me.   The bottom hole is drilled into the oil pump discharge line feeding the oil galley.   The discharge line has been plugged between the holes.   The top hole returns the oil to the oil galley.  The filter will be remotely mounted.  Somewhere!!  

263 build 003.JPGA

A couple pictures of the cam installed.263 build 005.JPG263 build 006.JPG263 build 007.JPG

How about one of the head?  Like the man said, the best part is hidden beneath the valves. Late model Ch###y valves cut down with performance rated springs and keepers.  Passage ways cleaned up some.  Dave, the machinist who owns D&L Performance Machine, said the head will handle more cam than I have.  Hoping the money was well spent.263 build 019.JPG

And the crank.263 build 025.JPG

Now the fun BEGINS!  

Stick around.

Ben 

263 build 012.JPG

Edited by First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 7

On 7/13/2016 at 4:17 PM, First Born said:

Finally , I am back!!

The call I was waiting for came. Your STUFF is ready.   So drove the Buick to the machine shop and picked up the head and "rotating assembly".   Don't you like that phrase?   

Installed the cam this morning. Plugged the main oil galley ends.

The holes for the full flow oil filter.   If one is familiar with the straight eight, this is self explanatory.    If not, indulge me.   The bottom hole is drilled into the oil pump discharge line feeding the oil galley.   The discharge line has been plugged between the holes.   The top hole returns the oil to the oil galley.  The filter will be remotely mounted.  Somewhere!!  

263 build 003.JPGA

A couple pictures of the cam installed.263 build 005.JPG263 build 006.JPG263 build 007.JPG

How about one of the head?  Like the man said, the best part is hidden beneath the valves. Late model Ch###y valves cut down with performance rated springs and keepers.  Passage ways cleaned up some.  Dave, the machinist who owns D&L Performance Machine, said the head will handle more cam than I have.  Hoping the money was well spent.263 build 019.JPG

And the crank.263 build 025.JPG

Now the fun BEGINS!  

Stick around.

Ben 

263 build 012.JPG

Hey Ben

Really am enjoying the pix and explanations of your project. I do have a question. Did you neutral balance the rotating assembly with the flywheel? Just curious how a strait 8 gets balanced. If so no more worries about lining up flywheel and crank. All that freshened-up iron sure is pretty. Thanx for letting us see what ur up to!

Greg, to be honest, I don't know.  The machinist I used builds performance engines as well, so just asked him to balance. 

But either way, still is a concern on how they are mated due to the timing mark.  I will have a timing mark on the crank pulley.  My old eyes have difficult time finding the mark in the flywheel housing "window".  But I will install it so the mark on the flywheel is in the right place. And he did mark the flywheel and crank with punch marks to accomplish same.

Having said all that and answering Gregs question, I will proceed.   Friday Afternoon found my oldest son at my door, on his way to Colorado for a Monday morning pickup from a museum.  He found me in the garage, so we carried on.   The crank was in, not torqued.  I had  married the rods, pins and pistons and torqued the pin pinch bolts. So we installed the rings!!  Did not break a one.  Then decided still time enough to install piston assemblies in the block.  NOW we broke a ring!!!!   I did not have the ring compressor tightened properly and a ring hung up on the top of the block. A sledge hammer blow to the top of the piston did not make it go into the bore!!  Well, not really a sledge hammer, but you get the picture.   Learned from that one and the seven remaining sets went right in.   Time for supper.

Saturday morning we tried to locate another ring. Arias Pistons are not open Sat.  We had no luck finding a ring.  So, we torqued the main caps and rod caps.  I am marking each bolt/nut with a dab of white paint as it is torqued.

That is as far as we got. The replacement ring is on the way from Arias. Be here later this week. I will get a few more pictures loaded up and on here later.

Ben

Edited by First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The pistons are so beautiful that it is almost a shame to put them in your engine where they will just get dirty and no one will ever see them again!

Keith

• Like 1

Well, been awhile.  Took a little trip to the mountains in NM to cool of.  Woke up Tuesday morning to 50 deg. Back home Wed noon to 98. 

I now have all the piston assemblies installed. Next is the timing gear and chain.  I have made an Executive decision to use the original. I had to return and get a replacement sprocket due to bad casting. The replacement has problems as well. The oil holes are not drilled completely.  Re-checked the original and play is well within the specs in the shop manual. Manual indicates 1/2 to 3/4 inch outward movement when NEW. Replacement when 1 inch. Mine is just under 3/4 inch. Still within new specs.  Looks better ,too.

Ben

• Like 1

I don't want to be wrong about things like this, but I have to agree with you. It sounds like you will be better off with the originals, than some questionable repro parts. I very recently had to change the timing gears on my '69 Electra, and it turns out that they had been replaced before, but the finish on those parts wasn't very good, and I had a broken tooth, so I don't know if that had something to do with it, or not. Long story on that, won't bore you, besides, this is your thread, not mine!

I have had other troubles with newer repro parts too.

Can't wait till you get it running!

Keith