1938 Dodge Truck model identification

Mika Jaakkola

Hi, 

I have a problem with my crew cab. I think I know ,that it started it's life as a "flat-faced-cowl" type of chassis, was rebodied here in Finland. I know for sure that the Wheelbase is 136". How can I tell what's the "real" model type for it? In the Finnish registration papers was 'RD-136" ', but I believe that's not the real model type? Even though It may have been manufactured in Canada, how can I tell? 

Thanks!

RD is a 1938 1 ton (models listed are RD-20 and RD-21) and 136 is your wheel base so RD-136 on the title makes sense. Is there a tag on the cowl? What is the frame number? It should be between 8920501 and 8920972 if it is a RD.

Eric

Hi, 

thanks for your reply. 

This page from 1938 Dodge Dealer album says that with 136" wb, it could be RD-11, RD-16 or RD-21. But which one, since the data tag is missing as well as the serial number.

In the old papers its said that max gross weight is 6000 pounds.

is there away to identify the chassis wothout any tags?

image.jpeg

On the smaller trucks in that era I sometimes find the numbers on the frame are between the steering box and the front cab mount.

There are lots of other places it might be. Look all over the left front frame rail.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 1937 MD15 (3/4 ton short bed). Looking in some factory parts books RD11 & RD21 are the 136" wheel base and the 11 = 3/4 Ton and 21= 1 ton.Looking up front springs there are 2 different for MD/RD models, 9 leaf heavy #581700 and 11 leaf #581129 they don't say which is for which 3/4 or 1 ton but my 1937 MD15 3/4 ton 120" wheel base front springs are 1 3/4" wide 36" center eye to eye and are 11 leaf.

I never found #s on my frame and had the body off and frame blasted.