nick8086

What is my car worth?

Not every car deserves to be saved.  There are more crappy cars then dedicated souls to care for them.  A dedicated enthusiast wasting their time on this means a more deserving ones goes wanting.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

...and that color sure won't help at resale time...

Matt, can you tell us more?  I know that a white or off-white

car doesn't particularly appeal to me, but I didn't know 

that other people, too, feel that white is less desirable.

(There's a blandness, or washed-out feeling, about

a white car to me, even though this sedan is an interesting part of history.)

What colors are most popular these days?

Does body style affect the color choice--since white convertibles

seem to do well and can sometimes look sharp when they have red interiors?

I've also heard the saying, "If it's brown, it stays around."

Brown was popular in the 1970's, but not now.  Green may be coming back

to acceptability.  Your insights are appreciated.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

It depends. My Judge and Reatta 'vert are both an Arctic (hard) white,  GM code 10 & both have black accents. Is really ideal for a Hot climate. Agree there are a lot I do not care for (mostly ones with yellow like a code 40). BTW the black spoiler was a factory option. Factory agreed.

ps those are same decade factory 15x8 wheels with a bit more tire. I did not consider anything that fit the stock 14x6s to be safe at speed. Stockers did make a lot of tire smoke.

going.jpg

aftera1024.jpg

Just a little history on the car.. In 1962 It was given to him to drive or it was his company car.. They would give upper manager a vehicle to use for work...   My dad bought the car from his employer..  

Matt - question... He put a 1972 400 in it... does it matter ?

62mopar.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

There is nothing wrong with the model, and if you have a nice one that is great. The issue I have with this particular car is that it needs 25k worth of work to be a 6k car.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

There is nothing wrong with the model, and if you have a nice one that is great. The issue I have with this particular car is that it needs 25k worth of work to be a 6k car.

I'm curious how you came up with the 25K number from one so-so photo. Or have you seen the car?

2 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

I'm curious how you came up with the 25K number from one so-so photo. Or have you seen the car?

both sides.JPG

The engine change does decrease the value.  The price at $1200, still is not bad.  You haven't told us anything to make us believe it is worth more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

It cost to make a car nice...  It was just painted 12 years ago... But he did not fix the rust... to make it a show car.. He just love having it... 

The only thing the car has going for it is the push button and the space  age dash... Which is neat...

On April 29, 2016 at 7:33 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Matt, can you tell us more?  I know that a white or off-white

car doesn't particularly appeal to me, but I didn't know 

that other people, too, feel that white is less desirable.

(There's a blandness, or washed-out feeling, about

a white car to me, even though this sedan is an interesting part of history.)

What colors are most popular these days?

Does body style affect the color choice--since white convertibles

seem to do well and can sometimes look sharp when they have red interiors?

I've also heard the saying, "If it's brown, it stays around."

Brown was popular in the 1970's, but not now.  Green may be coming back

to acceptability.  Your insights are appreciated.

I believe the proper statement is "if it's brown flush it down, if it's yellow let it mellow"

Edited by BillhymerMD (see edit history)

If you love it, buy it, if not pass. You're way ahead financially to buy one as nice as you dream of getting that one to be. If you would be HAPPY with it just like it is than buy it for as little as possible and drive it. Never expect to sell it for very much because you won't if it stays like it is. It's not a highly desirable car and its a four door to make it even a little less desirable. You asked for an opinion, everyone has one.

Actually $25k is cheap for a frame off - show quality.

Be better to say it looks like a #4, for  $3k-$4k you can make it a #3, 5x-10x that for a #2, and you can't make it a #1.

That said there are not many post war 4 doors that do not have suicides that would be worth even a #2.  ROI will never be great so would need a different reason which reminds me of Sandra Bullock's line at the end of Speed.

On 4/28/2016 at 9:27 AM, Matt Harwood said:

My father never learned that lesson. At one point we had 12 or 13 mediocre cars instead of one really great one. The crappy ones broke his spirit, gave him constant fits, required time and resources that he didn't have, and never gave him more than a fleeting moment of pleasure. Or he could have invested that money in something significant and high-quality and enjoyed the hobby.

That was my Father also,

Since when has $1200 became a lot of money on this hobby?  I'm a Chevy guy and I would not even think twice about buying that car for $1200! Seems like it is all there. I had a 63 Dodge 880 I bought from a friend of mine very similar car except the nose was much more plain, I needed a car and did it run great! If you needed a knock around car or a commuter car I would rather have that then some Asian import with 300,000 miles. 

White cars are kind of like plain sisters, and every once in a while, just like Cinderella, one gets invited to the Ball.

005.jpg

When I was a kid you knew to paint a car white to hide bad bodywork.  I have always thought the Hurst Olds looked good in white.  Some cars do, but black is a better color.  It just requires perfect panels.

48 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It just requires perfect panels.

And constant dusting.

I always paint my dirt cars white because it makes it easier for the fans to pick out.

We see a lot of very busy wraps these days and many times you cant make out the number from the stands.

It used to be the numbers has to be contrasting so the score keepers could readily tell who was who. But these days all the scoring is electronic and the big dollar cars all begin to look the same.

Usually we build the bodies from pre finished aluminum, but that industrial grade white is something like $30 a gallon, and I can do a couple of quickie paint jobs with a gallon of paint..

This guy parked on top of me.

Lebanon crash.jpg

Fine wine and fire station chili improve when properly aged and though it does appear that you in the process of aging your race car, it hasn't yet aged enough to acquire a vintage vehicle value.

Be patient, rubbing is racing, cars that have run a race are always easier to value than the untested entry and no matter what the future may bring, it will always be worth the value of scrap metal.

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

I always paint my dirt cars white because it makes it easier for the fans to pick out. ...

Interesting, Jack!  I bet you have some good racing stories to tell.

Start another thread, sometime.

And by the way, your car looks much better "before" the scrapes!

7 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

White cars are kind of like plain sisters, and every once in a while, just like Cinderella, one gets invited to the Ball.

005.jpg

Sorry Bernie,

According to the experts, your car has too many doors any definitely the wrong color.

49 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

Sorry Bernie,

According to the experts, your car has too many doors any definitely the wrong color.

Or maybe a top-of-the-line Buick in excellent condition is more desirable and valuable than a beat-up bottom-of-the-line Chrysler full of Bondo, with the wrong engine, and which has been sitting for 25 years?

Gee, that seems so odd.