help me figure out the electrical gremlins

saints

Ok I realized that my running light was out on the passenger side back. so pop the lens out and change the bulb aaaand now when I turn the signal on that side it doesnt click in the cab and the arrow light doesnt glow. but the blinker bulb on that side in the back lights up and the one in the front just barely lights up i mean barely aaaand my running light still doesnt work. so any ideas? ive tried new bulbs old ones and replacing fuses. oh and brake lights work both sides. its weird ....

2 filament bulb?   If so, did you install the bulb in the same position as the bulb that was removed?   The reason I ask, working on a 65 this weekend the 2 filament bulb was installed opposite of what it should have been.  In short, the running light filament was running the turn signal circuit.  The turn light filament was running on the running light circuit.  No blinking at all but had very very very bright running light.  I flipped  the bulb in the socket and all worked as designed.  

Ok checked and I have two grounds on either side of the engine passenger side is bolted to the block on back of head and the drivers side is not on the block at all. but I stretched it out and there is no where to attach it. the throttle linkage is using the hole in the head that the oppiste side is attached. im going to buy a longer on and attach it to the intake or head. ill let ya know how it goes 

thanks again for the wisdom 

Fix that earth, you can put that loose one under the throttle linkage bolt ( dont remember seeing one on that side on mine)

Anyway, do that and your likely to still have the same problem.

I think you will find your tail light assemblies are a little loose and it the tail lights that have lost their ground.

They ground (earth) through the contact of the housing to the rear 1/4 panels, there are no earth wires to them.

Best repair, solder a wire to the globe socket and earth it to the inner fender (trunk wall) and if you have fitted the correct bulb and fitted it correctly, your fault will be fixed.

If your hesitant (or just dont want to do that) then try undoing one of the bolts that hold the tail light on and putting a star washer under the bolt and re tightening it, should work again (until it loosens again)

• Like 3

The 58 Buick has two LONG studs emanating from the die cast tail light housing that bolt through the body.

This is apparently the only ground opportunity for that housing.  Over time those studs corrode, as do the

attaching nuts.  

I had the same issue on my Roadmaster.  

Removed them. Cleaned them up real good. And,

ran a short hidden wire from the housing & light socket to body ground.  Both filaments came back and did what they were

suposed to do & the green arrow inside blinked brightly!

I have a 30' length of #14 wire with a big clamp for the battery ground at one end and an alligator clip at the other. If a device doesn't work I run the ground directly to the battery; saves a lot of speculation.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Roadmaster75 said:

The 58 Buick has two LONG studs emanating from the die cast tail light housing that bolt through the body.

This is apparently the only ground opportunity for that housing.  Over time those studs corrode, as do the

attaching nuts.  

I had the same issue on my Roadmaster.  

Removed them. Cleaned them up real good. And,

ran a short hidden wire from the housing & light socket to body ground.  Both filaments came back and did what they were

suposed to do & the green arrow inside blinked brightly!

Yeah, the problem is that you have to leave the paint off around the holes to allow a return path, but leaving the paint off allows corrosion.  The corrosion is accelerated by the flow of current, eventually resisting or stopping the flow.  It's a vicious cycle.

well tested it out and its the ground. as soon as I gave it another ground it lit up and the arrow now signals that it is on. for now on Ill just use the suggested clip idea as it worked like a charm. on to the next issue lol

thanks everyone for your time as I stumble through the 58 ownership

• Like 1