X-Frame

X or no X?

but I have just a limited number of talents: I cannot cook, sing, skiing, plus a dozen other activities I either dislike or are above my possibilities!

16 minutes ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

but I have just a limited number of talents: I cannot cook, sing, skiing, plus a dozen other activities I either dislike or are above my possibilities!

Your model building is a full time job as is.  And besides, if you can use a microwave then you can cook.  They have autotune now for singing.  And who wants to go 80-mph on two floor planks holding on either a rope behind a speeding boat creating wakes or holding two toothpicks to keep you from becoming tree pâté?  I rather have a feeling of being in control (and enclosed) going that fast. :D

Eric

Eric, now that you are writing your first name, did you were for a time in the Mark II forum? Your question about the X frame let ring something in my head; your "name" was Huffstutler if I'm right?

How by the way, I can cook water. It's difficult, especially if it's boiling and I'm at my workbench!

Getting back to the original post - any more comments about the transverse mounted X brace design?

As time went on, more variables showed up.  This include the design used on Chrysler products between 1932-1933 which is called an "X" girder even though it had odd length legs which looks more like a curved beam in the rear section.  But goes to show that manufacturers do call odd designs "X" designs.

33Lube2-reg2.jpg

2 hours ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

Eric, now that you are writing your first name, did you were for a time in the Mark II forum? Your question about the X frame let ring something in my head; your "name" was Huffstutler if I'm right?

How by the way, I can cook water. It's difficult, especially if it's boiling and I'm at my workbench!

Roger, yes... I have been doing this research for at least 6 years concerning various X designs.  And yes, have been part of both the 1956-1957 Continental Mk II forums and helped you out with photographs years past.  Since I am only one of two people in the entire United States with my name, what would be the odds  :P

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎28 at 0:09 PM, X-Frame said:

I had learned not too long ago that the Wagonaires used the Lark Convertible chassis. 

The Wagonaire frame was unique to that model.  The convertible ran on a 109" wheelbase, while the Wagonaire had a 113" wheelbase.

Craig

32 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

The Wagonaire frame was unique to that model.  The convertible ran on a 109" wheelbase, while the Wagonaire had a 113" wheelbase.

Craig

Sorry, used that in a generic sense.  I suspect that the frame looked similar in shape and structure though... any photos or illustrations of the Wagonaire chassis?

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

There were two more oddities I recall. 

The 1935 Chevrolet Standard which used a X brace (not the V-K the Master used) and was used on that one model, one year only.

The same with the 1940 Chevrolet Cabriolet.  It had a massive, overbuilt but under engineered chassis that utilized stacked side rails, heavy cross members, off axis X legs, a large wolfs plate (large square plate covering the area where the axis should be).  Chevrolet declared it a disaster and used a more traditional X the following year on the convertibles.  I have yet to know why the 1940 design was even used and who came up  with that disaster of a chassis design used only on that car, model, one year only?

Bringing this back to the top for the weekenders who may want to add to the discussion... thanks!

Want to bring this topic back up and hope new members may have something to contribute.  I can add that the new London Taxi  TX5 is a unibody car and so, the TX4 was their last to use an X frame configuration.  Now, are there "any" cars (or trucks) being made, worldwide, that still uses a cruciform or X braced chassis frame?

Thanks!