1925 Sedan Gas Tank

GaryP65

So I dropped the tank tonight so I can clean it out. Other than needing new straps because the bolt snapped on one, I have a few questions;

I seem to be missing the drain plug. I don't think its a regular bolt but something that 'plugs'. Is this something that Meyers has? Or can I fashion one?

I'd like to also remove the gauge for cleaning. Does it screw off?

tank drain.jpg

tank guage.jpg

20160425_200234.jpg

Hi Gary.  I have the same style tank as you.  There is obviously quite a bit of work to do but try not to let it get you down.  The drain seems to have been torn out and that is a problem. I suppose you could try and tackle the repair yourself but it looks a bit tricky to me. 

I believe the straps are available and I can confirm that the gauge un screws.  It may well be rusted so use a ratchet strap or something to give you the leverage without ruining the thread.  Fortunately, all the parts are available from Myers. 

Please try to be patient with us on this forum... we do have other things to do as well!

Ray.

Hello  Gary . I attached a pic of my fuel gauge ,looks to be similar .  Mine was frozen , after removing and  cleaning ,made some new paper and cork gasket it worked fine . the drain plug is probable 1/4" pipe thread . You have same size plugs in carbs and filters ,can get at any plumbing store . You should chase threads first with tap . But be careful with both , mine had it's hole stamped in tank and when I over tightened it cracked and leaks . By adding thread tape and loosening it is ok  .

20150528_172051.jpg

Pipe plugs normally have a tapered thread. Hence plumbing. As it screws in it gets larger in diameter so automajically tightens in the thread. As the thread is only stamped in the tank (as Tom said), use a SHORT spanner so you don't put much torque on it. No electric tools allowed!

P.S. You are not allowed to say "wash woman" in these days of political correctness and non-sexist, inclusive language! ;)

P.P.S. Be patient with us! We are not all sitting here waiting for your questions. Some only look every few days. You have been lucky: Tom responded pretty soon after you asked!

Hope the tank repairs go well for you.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Apparently a simple 3/8" bolt with some thread tape with a rubber washer did the trick.

Since it wasn't too bad in there, I just use some white vinegar (2 gal.), a few small nuts, hung it from the ceiling with two straps and rocked it back and forth. 1/4 turn, let it sit overnight, rocked it some more and so on. So far looks great. Now just waiting for Myers to send me my straps and ready to plumb to the vacuum tank!

Still trying to figure out the tire situation. 

Yeah, I think you are right! That always throws me. I blame some of it on having to use reading glasses for up close. I used to be able to see the correct size for a bolt, nut, wrench until glasses. Now I always seem to grab a 9/16th to use on a 1/2" head. With glasses, things look bigger than they are. If it is a hidden bolt I can still "feel it" for the correct size wrench.

So I didn't like the way the white vinegar worked. it seemed to make more rust rather than clean it!.

I found that WD40 makes a rust bath so 4 gallons later, the tank looks great. I cleaned that out with regular WD40 and a few days later it still looks great.

So, new fuel line from front to back, fill it up with gas, primed the tank and started her up. after some time it died. i assume that the vacuum tank ran out so I'm wondering if maybe there is a vacuum leak or the tank is just not sucking it up the tube in the tank.

Can someone clarify exactly whats inside the tank? Is it just a tube to the bottom?

Just a tube to the bottom.

I'm not sure if it's a steel or non-ferrous tube but if it's steel it could have pin holes in it after umpteen years.

I ran into that with a Rumely tractor I had.

It would pump fuel and then, out of the blue, stop pumping...... <_<

I've owned other Rumelys so I knew what's inside and, sure enough, the 1/4" black pipe had measles.

The pipe had rusted through on mine so I replaced it.  I posted a thread about restoring my vac tank with pictures showing how I made and fitted a simple up stand which also acted as a filter.  It is unlikely to get blocked like the original filter.  You may find the bottom of the tank itself is corroded.  Hopefully it is not as far gone as mine was! 

So in another post I noted that to confirm that gas is getting to the vacuum tank I used clear tubing and the vacuum tank seems to be working. Working so well that now I have gas pouring out of the carburetor. It will only run for a few seconds now.

My thinking is that before I switched to the main gas tank, I used a gas can with tubing to the vacuum tank. The tubing ID was bigger than the ID of the fuel line running to the tank so now I think it's sucking a lot more gas.

Thoughts?

Carburetor issue?

The flapper was in good working order moving freely.

It will only start with the choke all the way in. Pulling out will shut it off.

At least that was the case when it was getting fuel from the gas can.

Now that I think about it, I did that a long time ago and it flooded the carb so I put a new float in the carb. Once it sucked it out of the can, it poured out of everywhere. That was before I tore the vacuum apart.

Also, like I pointed out previous, I used a clear tube and the vacuum was pulling gas from the tank.