Ride of a Lifetime

Guest kristynbkr

Guest kristynbkr

Hi!

My name is Kristyn.  My father is turning 70 this year, and his dream has always been to drive in a Pre-War Packard.  We live in Southeast PA, but would be willing to travel to make my dad's dream come true.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take my father for a ride that he will never forget.

If anyone has any ideas, they will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Kristyn

I think Restorer32 has a great idea. I have been to the Museum several times and have never been disappointed. Also, since you are so close to Hershey why not go to the National Fall Meet held in October. You won't regret it. 

The museum is indeed A1 in quality, but let's all admit there's nothing like having a ride in a car you really like. I was lucky to get a ride in a friend's restored 1967 Corvette 427 425hp with side pipes.  No museum car will ever compare to that experience!   I hope some one can help this person's dream come true.

Terry

2 hours ago, TerryB said:

The museum is indeed A1 in quality, but let's all admit there's nothing like having a ride in a car you really like. I was lucky to get a ride in a friend's restored 1967 Corvette 427 425hp with side pipes.  No museum car will ever compare to that experience!   I hope some one can help this person's dream come true.

Terry

in1972 i test drove a nice 67 427 4speed vette roadster with sidepipes. priced at $2000... on colorado blvd in pasadena,,,, thought the price  was high ...?

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)

Kristyn,

You might also want to post this on the Packard part of this forum or contact the Packard Club or the Classic Car Club of America. My first ride of many in a Packard was age 15 in 1929 Roadster in the rumble seat back in the 1970's with a Club member on AACA Canton Chapter tours in Ohio. The smooth sound of that straight eight from the rumble seat is ingrained in my memory. The owner passed away years ago but I know the current owner and half considered buying it. The six figure price is the stumbling block. A couple years ago, I got ride in similar 29 Packard roadster in Sidney, Australia which brought back those 1970 tour memories in Ohio.  I am sure there are several pre war Packard owners in PA that would love to take your father for a ride. Your best bet is trying to contact the local Packard or CCCA club. Keep in mind the owners may not be hanging out on this forum but friends may. You could also contact the Warren, Ohio Packard Museum that hosts a show every year. I know of a few prewar driving Packard owners near the museum.  If that fails or you do not want to travel that far, at Hershey in October there will be several for sale and in the show where a ride might be arraigned. Come on you PA guys, I know you know owners in area. You can make it happen and make Kristyn a old car fan without having too travel far!

Tom Muth

Kristyn:  Here is a link to The Packard Club's national website  Click on "Regions" at the left side of the page, for a list of Packard local clubs around the country.

May I suggest that you find one near you, click on the link to their website, then contact an officer of the local club with your request? 

http://www.packardclub.org/

Edited by Jon37 (see edit history)

Tom,

Although I haven't been for a ride in David's Packard I have been for one in the Maxwell. That is after I had to get out so it be driven up David's driveway without my weight holding it back! That said, since then I believe David has worked out the bugs bedevilling the Maxwell back then and now it would pull me up the hill together with David on board.

David,

Can I book a ride in the Packlard next time I call in?

David and Maxie 'up the driveway'.JPG

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)