Torque value and valve timing Continental engine

ThomasBorchers

I haven't seen torque values listed for any car before maybe the mid-1930s. I think mechanics were simply expected to know how tight various fasteners were supposed to be by feel.

That said, a machinist handbook (or web search) should tell you the torque values based on material and bolt/stud diameter. Not sure about head fasteners in the late 1920s, but I suspect most bolts were what would today be considered grade 1 or 2 so don't go torquing them as if they were a grade 5.

Well, I have found a Manual as pdf from 1930 Continental engines. There is a description how to fasten the cylinder head. And as you said, there where no torque values. In the shop manual of our 1939 Buick, there are also no torque values but the hint, to ask the manufacturer of torque wrenches for the values... :blink: 

Commercially available torque wrenches were not on the market until 1938, so no torque values in manuals before that.

Most older head bolts or studs were not equal to current Grade 8 specs, so use current standards for Grade 5 of the same size.  Many of the older bolts were equal to Grade 6 or 7, but we'll never know for sure, and they have already been stretched at least once.

Here is one example of a current recommended torque table for non-lubricated bolts:  http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque.htm

Well, FWIW, I do have a little handbook covering Cont'l L-hd 4s and 6s, 33 engines from  N56 thru B6427, it has IMX6132-1155 where printers bug etc usually goes. The 1155, if the pub date, sounds about right for the engines listed, which're considerably later than your E11 0r E15...

It does have torques for heads, mains/rods, mfld, flywheels/housings and a few misc like oil pan, all broken down by size of bolt/stud, BUT doesn't mention new/old threads?? dry/oiled threads?? etc...

Also has cyl head sequences, and an oil pressure page which states low idle pressure OK as long as above 5lbs...otherwise it's basically an ordinary  tune up/troubleshooting guide..

Unfortunately my set refuses to transmit in anything but GB instead of normal KB..can xerox and mail with mailing adds...

Hi together...

thank you for all your answers and hints. Well, perhaps I should try the AACA Library, if they have a handbook for this engine, since we still looking for the valve timing. Years ago we got a list with several cars on it by AACA, also a Moon with Continental engine. I mean that there was also the specifications to read. But at the Moment, my father is looking for this paper... he can't find it again. :rolleyes:

Kind regards

Thomas

Sheesh...my whole life is becoming Senior, with more or less lucid moments, instead of the other way around...

Post your question on the Reo forum here (I believe you have to join the Reo club for access to their forum) as the 11E was in the Reo Wolverine, the "Mate" and the "15", as well as the Moon "72" per listings in the Cont'l engine section of a 1930 McCord catalog...

The Reo section of that catalog lists a Reo 1927-28 with the 11E  31/4x4...

Of course, since a lot of these catalogs don't agree, a 1930 wrist pin catalog shows REO:

Mate, 15---1929-30---16E...33/8 bore

Wolverine---1927-28---15E...31/4 bore

That McCord lists 10E, 11E, 12E, 15E, 16E, 17E, 18E, 20E in one gasket group, showing two sizes, 31/4x4 and 33/8x4, but not which was which; head and mfld gaskets for 26-27 and 28-30 differ, oil pump, pan, gear cover all same...

Have you tried Monte's to see what they have??: (garradmoon@montes@flash.net, or if no longer good montesequipmen.com..they've moved out of Chicago proper to the northwest 20-30 miles or so)....

Oops, forgot Peerless---you might also try Peerless forum here (and Club?)---that McCord catalog lists Peerless 60, 61 1927-29 with both the 10E 31/4x4 and the 11E 33/8x4, but doesn't say whether both options or tone succeeded the other...interestingly, head gasket change under peerless shows 27-28 and 29-30...

The 11E and 15E were either low prod engines or mostly  went into vehicles with "own" engines...only the 18E seems to've had good penetration, and that mostly in lighter trucks...

Thank you for all these Information. My father found now again the papers we got by AACA library. They marked the 1929 Moon 6-72 for us with the 11E engine. And there I can find the valve timing ( Intake opens 5° after DC, closes 45° after DC, exhaust opens 45° before DC, closes 5° after DC ).  

But what I am still thinking about, is, why the description of our car shows a 212.9 cui engine.... I will ask Montes what they think.

Thomas