Probably need a new coolant tank and wheel well molding (1985)

Guest CFrance729

Guest CFrance729

rLOveFl.jpg

So if you can tell in the above picture, the wheel well molding, or whatever it is called, is cracked pretty badly, It's very lose, which is pretty bad considering it supports the coolant tank.

I have known for awhile now that it leaks coolant, but now I think it is coming from the tank itself.

Just curious on the price of these two items, together or separate, if anyone even has one. (1985 Riviera Base, 307)

A wheel well molding is the chrome piece that accents the wheel opening in the fender.  From what I gather, you're taking about an inner fender; if it's what supports the washer reservoir.  I'm thinking that if it were me, I'd be doing some repairs to the one that's there.  Some two part epoxy would fill the crack and give the piece its strength back. I've used two part epoxy with fiberglass cloth to make extra strong repairs - like where the door pull handle is on my Blazer.  Made that repair a couple of years ago and it's just as strong now as it ever has been, maybe stronger.  Sure a lot easier than replacing an inner fender.  You could even do the same to the tank you have.  The repair to the inner fender can be worked and repainted so it will not show.  The repair to the tank would be obvious depending on where the crack is and how particular you are about appearances.

Ed

Guest CFrance729
On 4/24/2016 at 1:11 PM, RivNut said:

A wheel well molding is the chrome piece that accents the wheel opening in the fender.  From what I gather, you're taking about an inner fender; if it's what supports the washer reservoir.  I'm thinking that if it were me, I'd be doing some repairs to the one that's there.  Some two part epoxy would fill the crack and give the piece its strength back. I've used two part epoxy with fiberglass cloth to make extra strong repairs - like where the door pull handle is on my Blazer.  Made that repair a couple of years ago and it's just as strong now as it ever has been, maybe stronger.  Sure a lot easier than replacing an inner fender.  You could even do the same to the tank you have.  The repair to the inner fender can be worked and repainted so it will not show.  The repair to the tank would be obvious depending on where the crack is and how particular you are about appearances.

Ed

How funny...I'm actually building a boat right now using fiberglass and epoxy, the stich and glue style boatbuilding. I'll definitely try that out when I'm done with the boat...epoxy ain't cheap stuff.

5 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

There are a couple of Rivs in that vintage in a you pick yard near me. I could take a look and see what I can find. What zipcode are you in so I can give you an idea on a shipped price?

Thanks, for now I will try the epoxy and fiberglass. If that ends up not working out, at least for the coolant reservoir, I'll let you know.

Actually, there may be some more parts I need if you could take a look some time...not right now because I have all my money tied up in this boat, but maybe somewhere down the road, if you would be able. My zip is 27909.

I have very little left from my 79 - 85 Rivieras; I think the only thing left in the shed is front header panel for an '84/'85, and some wire wheel cover lug nuts and lock brackets.  REALLY cheap to anyone who needs them - like you pay the shipping and they're yours.

I bought a 1964 Thompson Seacoaster Deluxe last fall.  The person from whom I bought it owned it for 3 years before selling it to me.  Neither one of us has ever had it in the water. :unsure:

The Thompson is mahogany lap strake construction.  Getting into it ei something I'm looking forward to but dreading at the same time.  If I name it correctly, it will probably be called "Linda's Lament."  Linda being my wife. 

God love her for what she puts up with from me and my toys.  Seven cars (5 Rivieras); the boat; 10 (at last count) old balloon tired bicycles, Schwinn, Elgin, and Columbia (1935 - 1967;)  and boxes3 of unopened HO train stuff I bought for my grandson when he was a tike and loved trains.  Now that he's old enough to do some model railroading, he's lost interest.  Me thinks it's time to have a garage sale.  But, life goes on and we keep living it to the fullest.

Ed

Ed, don't despair over the railway stuff!  With the sale of a 64 Skylark sports coupe and with what I had collected over the 8 years as 1/2 owner of a hobby shop, all gave me enough to help buy and import my 63. Ebay is all you need.

good luck