RESTORING 1931 BUICK

jdkitch

I would like any information on 1931 Buick, model 57. I know the engine with changed from a 6 cyl. to a straight 8 in 1930, but did they change running gear, axles, wheel bearings etc. also. And from 1932 up are these components interchangeable?

I would appreciate any info this, and on obtaining wheel bearings & seals for both front & rear axis, and clutch / pressure plate /bearing

Try to find old books printed at the time...shop manuals, owners manuals. Try to do what few people do....restore to original. So many people will take a 1931 Buick and because they don't know how to fix it, and can't find parts, they ruin it by putting modern power trains and wheels under the body, and destroy the body with new gauges on the dashboard, bucket seats, and then all you have it just another stupid hot rod. It takes research to fix up an old car they way you should. And old parts.

• Like 1

Welcome to the world of old Buicks. I am relatively new to them myself. I've had my 31 for 3 years now. It's been interesting learning about it and Buicks of the era in general.

Anyway, the parts books for the time period are still reproduced. I got one from Rockauto and it helps a lot. Try to find a service manual somewhere too, like EBay or something like that. These old cars are a different from what I was used too in many ways.

Anyway the parts book says the bearings are the same for 31 and 32 only. They are the same for a 1930 30 series. Try to find them on EBay or the like where you should be able to get them. If not Bob's Automobilia will have them but they will be expensive. Same with the seals, though they are just felt.

The clutch would be another matter. Someone on here would have more knowledge then me for a source. A rebuilder I would guess.

Anyway. Good luck and keep us posted on progress.

One important thing on '31's. All the series are different and not much interchanges. The 80 and 90 series interchange some things. The 50 series is by itself on most stuff. Watch out when buying parts and check carefully for interchangability.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 9:07 PM, Morgan Wright said:

Does your engine run?

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 11:30 AM, DonMicheletti said:

One important thing on '31's. All the series are different and not much interchanges. The 80 and 90 series interchange some things. The 50 series is by itself on most stuff. Watch out when buying parts and check carefully for interchangability.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:34 AM, midman said:

Welcome to the world of old Buicks. I am relatively new to them myself. I've had my 31 for 3 years now. It's been interesting learning about it and Buicks of the era in general.

Anyway, the parts books for the time period are still reproduced. I got one from Rockauto and it helps a lot. Try to find a service manual somewhere too, like EBay or something like that. These old cars are a different from what I was used too in many ways.

Anyway the parts book says the bearings are the same for 31 and 32 only. They are the same for a 1930 30 series. Try to find them on EBay or the like where you should be able to get them. If not Bob's Automobilia will have them but they will be expensive. Same with the seals, though they are just felt.

The clutch would be another matter. Someone on here would have more knowledge then me for a source. A rebuilder I would guess.

Anyway. Good luck and keep us posted on progress.

Thank you to all:  I obtained the car in1964, while in high school, and did a motor job on in then, and drove it until 1982, been in storage ever since. So yes it will run, turned it over often, but have not started it since then, I want to get all the big things complete. I have the catalog from Bob's and in it is a book ( 1929- '52 GM parts interchange manual, chev-olds-Pontiac-buick), any thoughts on this? Again thank you for the info, hope to see you in Allentown, Pa.  Mr. Wright this is John Kitchen, Keeseville, NY. 

Thank you to all:  I obtained the car in1964, while in high school, and did a motor job on in then, and drove it until 1982, been in storage ever since. So yes it will run, turned it over often, but have not started it since then, I want to get all the big things complete. I have the catalog from Bob's and in it is a book ( 1929- '52 GM parts interchange manual, chev-olds-Pontiac-buick), any thoughts on this? Again thank you for the info, hope to see you in Allentown, Pa.  Mr. Wright this is John Kitchen, Keeseville, NY.