1931Chry

40's Under 40's - Colorado - Interested Persons?

Recommended Posts

Good Morning (at least here in the Mountain Time Zone!),

 

This has been a long time coming. I have honestly been thinking about trying to get together anyone under 40 with vintage cars for a long time. After reading the forum titled "Cars Pre-1940 and Enthusiasts Under 40: A Great Idea for Promoting Our Hobby to Younger Collectors", I have decided to finally see if there is any interest in my area: the suburbs of Denver, Colorado. I'm hoping that I can find a few members here that are of the Millennial Generation (Ages 18-40 give or take) that have, or are interested in, classic cars and the restoration process. I personally am not even picky as to the years of cars, although I personally have a '31 Chrysler. I have tried other groups (including reaching out to the local AACA Regional group), and have attended a few local car shows, but have found that I am consistently the youngest, or one of the few youngest members (at sub 30 years old), and would like to find others in my same or similar life-stage with my same hobby interest!

 

Are there other members or forum goers who are interested in an Under 40's classic car group in the Denver, Colorado area?  

Would love to hear from you either as a response to this forum or through a PM.  I'm thinking an occasional meet-up for a craft brew here in the craft brew capital of the world!

Here's to hoping I have a few fellow young classic car collectors in Colorado!

 

For all the seasoned and knowledgeable members, have faith that there is some interest from the Millennial generation! I personally thank you for all the help and support as I continue learning about the heritage and history, one car (and problem) at a time!

 

I raise my glass to everyone!

 

1931Chry

 

 

In partial response to the following forum:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @1931CHRY I understand what you are talking about at 38 years old and a lover of Prewar Classics and Brass era cars there are not many others my age that are as involved as I am. I am not close to you living in south west British Columbia but i wish you good luck gathering a group of young like minded people.

 

VintageRodShop

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are probably so few of us around that actually own a prewar car that you may have to expand the boundaries of the club...maybe simply North America ?.  I'm 37 and while I've run into lots of people my age who appreciate my car or prewar cars in general, I've never met one who actually owns their own.  I have met a few with rods or other customs but thats not really the same thing.  I'd venture to say there are few to none in Phoenix metro...a city of 4 million...who own and drive original prewar cars who themselves are under 40.  I hope I'm wrong because it would be a blast to get together with like minded people kind of in the same stage of life. 

image.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, great idea as guy noted on his post a few days ago.  This old, well, 52 year old prewar fan would be glad to hang out with any you guns in the CT area, even though I know the history of the post and understand the appeal.  I do see younger guys on occasion with early fords, especially t speedster projects, and of course the ever popular prewar staple model A.  Anyway good for you guys.  You just moved into the well rounded collector phase earlier than some others, I think.

 

One additional thought for the OP - if you have not already done so, start a FB page for this special interest group.  It has proven amazingly effective from what I have seen in organizing special interest groups as well as both planned and impromptu gatherings.  It will likely grow itself as seems to be what happens with that venue.

 

 

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is interesting to me and I am 55. What I find interesting is that I was always one of the younger guys in the past (preferring brass cars 20 years ago), but preferred to hang out with the older guys.......................

 

they were always interesting and knew a hell of a lot more then me. My perspective is quite different obviously.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a great idea! When I was on the BOD of the Vintage Chevrolet Club we were trying to get some young families to put together a tour for younger people, just could not find the right person to take the lead, and the idea died. While us guys can always find something to talk about regardless of our age, the women are another issue. They have tough time finding that common thread especially when there is an age gap..

I suggest contacting someone in the AACA to help you with some direction, They always seemed to be progressive minded and looking for the future of the hobby. Good luck with your quest

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all who have answered!  A lot of good ideas shared thus far, and I appreciate the input i'm receiving!

 

Don't misunderstand me @mercer09, I definitely enjoy the opportunities, stories, and company I receive when i'm with those outside my current life-stage.  In many cases, this has led me to understanding items involving my classic that I never knew prior (such as one gentleman in my area pointing out that I have the wrong door handles, which starts another long search for door handles...).  Often, the fine people outside my current life-stage is where I come up with solutions, and a better understanding of the era my classic originated, which has supplemented the fact that I cannot ask these questions or gain this understanding from my late grandfather.  I truly appreciate, and thoroughly enjoy everything that the "seasoned" members/friends have been able to provide.

 

For @vintagerodshop, & @BillhymerMD, if you ever find yourself near the Denver area, please contact me and I will treat you to a drink!  Thank you for posting, and as mentioned previously (I think the comment was edited), I wouldn't even mind starting a club for all of North America if it meant that I may be able to share my interests with like-minded, and like-aged folk.  As mentioned above by @Steve_Mack_CT, maybe a Facebook group would be beneficial?  I'll keep both ideas in mind as this forum continues, and if nothing else comes about.

 

For @Steve_Mack_CT, @mercer09 & @John348, thank you for your input.  The same offer extends to you fine gentlemen as well, if you are in Denver, give me a shout out and i'll treat you to a beer!  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 27, 2016 at 3:36 PM, 1931Chry said:

Thank you all who have answered!  A lot of good ideas shared thus far, and I appreciate the input i'm receiving!

 

Don't misunderstand me @mercer09, I definitely enjoy the opportunities, stories, and company I receive when i'm with those outside my current life-stage.  In many cases, this has led me to understanding items involving my classic that I never knew prior (such as one gentleman in my area pointing out that I have the wrong door handles, which starts another long search for door handles...).  Often, the fine people outside my current life-stage is where I come up with solutions, and a better understanding of the era my classic originated, which has supplemented the fact that I cannot ask these questions or gain this understanding from my late grandfather.  I truly appreciate, and thoroughly enjoy everything that the "seasoned" members/friends have been able to provide.

 

For @vintagerodshop, & @BillhymerMD, if you ever find yourself near the Denver area, please contact me and I will treat you to a drink!  Thank you for posting, and as mentioned previously (I think the comment was edited), I wouldn't even mind starting a club for all of North America if it meant that I may be able to share my interests with like-minded, and like-aged folk.  As mentioned above by @Steve_Mack_CT, maybe a Facebook group would be beneficial?  I'll keep both ideas in mind as this forum continues, and if nothing else comes about.

 

For @Steve_Mack_CT, @mercer09 & @John348, thank you for your input.  The same offer extends to you fine gentlemen as well, if you are in Denver, give me a shout out and i'll treat you to a beer!  

 

 

 

 

So i so I took the first step and started a Facebook page...doubt it will go anywhere.  What would be fun it to physically get together with people our age and promote the hobby and Facebook does not do that but it may help people connect.  I called the Facebook page Generation X-Y-Z Prewar Motorcar Club.  X-Y-Z is basically anyone born after 1966.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BillHymer with your permission I want to crash the party & "like" or join your group not to hang out there, I am clearly too old - mainly help promote it by inviting some Under 40s I know who are pretty involved in prewar cars that are not active on this forum.  They are out there, one is an aspiring collector car dealer around 29 or so, one is building a T Speedster to museum standards and Chris Summers, who frequents this forum and probably second only to Randy Emma in terms of Duesenberg knowledge also comes to mind,  He is on FB a lot more than here these days.  Those guys are all in the 28 - 32 age range. I hope it goes somewhere.  There are active pages dedicated to a lot of obscure things (Tokheim gas pumps come to mind) that get a fair amount of play, so you might be surprised with your results.  Anyway enjoy and good luck with it.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

BillHymer with your permission I want to crash the party & "like" or join your group not to hang out there, I am clearly too old - mainly help promote it by inviting some Under 40s I know who are pretty involved in prewar cars that are not active on this forum.  They are out there, one is an aspiring collector car dealer around 29 or so, one is building a T Speedster to museum standards and Chris Summers, who frequents this forum and probably second only to Randy Emma in terms of Duesenberg knowledge also comes to mind,  He is on FB a lot more than here these days.  Those guys are all in the 28 - 32 age range. I hope it goes somewhere.  There are active pages dedicated to a lot of obscure things (Tokheim gas pumps come to mind) that get a fair amount of play, so you might be surprised with your results.  Anyway enjoy and good luck with it.

 

That sounds great

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

    Hello To all. In Pa there is a group of pre war car enthusiasts called the varmints, that get together every month just to drive them. We don't have age requirements for individuals due to most younger people cannot afford a prewar and family costs at the same time. They do only recognize the prewar cars when counting attendance but there are always some other post war antiques that cruise along which are still great  to be with. Typically the post war cars have the younger people in them. I am in my early 50's and have been going along for about 3 years. We have no dues no officers just a few people that enjoy driving their prewar vehicles. About 15 prewar cars show up for each tour. at the end of each cruise we stop to eat and a donation is received for the cost of the news letter so the group can keep going. Each month an individual is the tour master by their choice, sometimes coerced but still volunteer. They chose a route and or place to visit and then a place to stop and eat. It works here for this group but may not elsewhere

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope this catches on for all of the younger collectors or people who just have an interest in pre war cars. I was in your situation 30+ years ago, and at that time the fellows who had the pre war cars felt the same way I do - get younger people interested in older cars. Here on long island there is a fellow in his early 40's who has a 47 Buick Special sedan (that used the pre war sheet metal ) he loves and drives all the time, and wishes he had a pre war car , and will some day. For those of us of an older generation that have pre war cars, do not hesitate to take a younger person who likes pre war cars for a ride in your car, it will only reinforce their desire to own one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ltc4748 said:

    Hello To all. In Pa there is a group of pre war car enthusiasts called the varmints, that get together every month just to drive them. We don't have age requirements for individuals due to most younger people cannot afford a prewar and family costs at the same time... 

 

Mr. LTC, there are many low-priced pre-war cars out there--

for instance, $10,000 and under.  And they're not all Ford Model A's.

If a buyer looks around, and buys from an individual, good 

values can be found.  Cars of that era are just harder to find.

 

While $8000 or $10,000 is a lot for a 19-year-old, it is not at all

out of range for someone who has been earning good money for years--

such as a 30- or 40-year old hobbyist.  And those cars don't cost have to

cost more than the post-war cars that people may desire.

 

I just want to point this out in case any hobbyists are looking with hope--

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now