V-12 Engines

Was wondering if anybody out their can answer a question I got. We have a 1936 Lincoln K, the motor in it was taken apart 40 yrs ago and never put back together, it's gonna cost a ton just to over-haul it and somehow put it back together, how compatible were the V-12 engines in swapping them, lets say I want to put in a 1942 Lincoln Zephyr or any V-12 motor for that fact, will everything be compatible??? I'm no expert in this area or any engine for that matter, but the steering column goes or "hooks" up to the engine, is this the way all of the old Lincolns were?? Hopefully somebody with some knowledge of these old cars can help. Thanks, Andy

Hi Rupp, am afraid you are staring at a brick wall here, there is absolutely no comparison between the Model H Lincoln Zephyr 12, and the far larger and heavier model K, they were great engines, far superior to the H's, and I am sure there are some enthusiasts who can provide more details about their care and feeding, a name comes to mind you might check out, he is David Clement in California, his e-mail is GRClement@AOL.com, he is an official in the Model K and L Lincoln club, and is very knowlageable, Good Luck, OC

In my very humble opinion there is one and only one engine that should be put back into this car - the one that came out of it.<P>As a practical matter, it would be extremely difficult to make any other engine fit. And for God's sake don't let somebody put a Chevy 350 in it.<P>As an asthetic matter, the Lincoln K V-12 engine is a piece of jewelry, in addition to being a wonderful power plant. In comparison, the Zephyr engines are just oversized Ford V-8's.<P>Finally, as a member of the human race you have (maybe unwittingly) become a custodian of history with this car. It is what it is, and that is its value. Making it something substantially less (with this engine swap) should certainly earn the perpetrator a front row seat in you-know-where.<P>Just my opinion, of course. If this offends you, either ignore what I say or sell me the car.<P>PS - I am a mechanical engineer, and have had dirty hands for 50 years. I rebuilt one of these "K" engines recently. Many more times than once I was almost stunned by the quality of both design and construction. If you ignore my advice and swap the engine with something else, at least please sell me the engine. I would gladly rebuild it and put it in my living room (I don't have one of these cars). I periodically visit the owner of the car for which I rebuilt the engine, and ask him to just start it up and let me hear it run. "Wonderful" falls far short of describing it the way it sounds.

Hi Andy, what a coincidence you should get such a great reply from someone also named "Andy", I would certainly make an effort to contact him, and negotiate with having him rebuild and install your K engine, it is almost a dream come true if you two Andy's could work it out!! Good luck, Rolf

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Andy! I'm currently trying to gather the nerve to rebuild the engine in my 36 Zephyr sedan. Nothing really wrong, other than the usual flathead complaints, (leaky rear main, low oil pressure when hot, minor smoke, marginal cooling) I've rebuilt many engines over the last 30+ years, but have never had the opportunity to dive into a flathead. I guess I will be checking back here often! grin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the information guys. I have been at school for a while and returned home this weekend so I'm finally just seeing your replys for the 1st time. I would be more than willing to let somebody with some knowledge and understanding of the "K" engines put it back together. I live in North West Iowa, pretty close to Sioux City. Would be nice to know where your from so maybe we could work something out.

Thanks,

Andy