MrEarl

Parting 53 thru 56 Buicks

13 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Difference in bellhousings

5 bolt transmission bell housing from 264, note the 2 lower mount bolt holes. The casting was made the same but drilled differently

100_3860.jpg100_3863.jpg

6 bolt bellshousing from 322, note that the bolt is lower than the 5 bolt bellhousing

100_3864.jpg100_3865.jpg

and on the front, there is a hole on the 5 bolt/264 bellhousing

100_3877.jpg

but not on the 322/6 bolt bellhousing. again, note that the casting numbers are the same.

100_3878.jpg

Will try and dig into my pile tomorrow and see what I have Chuck.

Great pics and explanation.  So for my application I can make either work given that I will need to do some machine work to open the center input shaft hole, drill and tap to match the later saginaw trans, etc.  If you have a spare throw out bearing fork that would be great too.  This is a bit like Christmas, looking forward to seeing what parts emerge from your stash!!  Thanks, Chuck

According to Willie in your other Want to Buy thread, you may not need this. But, If you end up using either one of these, the 264 one would be the way to go as the 322 3 spd bellhousings are getting scarce and expensive when you do find one. Trying to get out to the barn to dig.

On 4/25/2016 at 11:58 AM, MrEarl said:

According to Willie in your other Want to Buy thread, you may not need this. But, If you end up using either one of these, the 264 one would be the way to go as the 322 3 spd bellhousings are getting scarce and expensive when you do find one. Trying to get out to the barn to dig.

I was admiring your Authorized Buick Service shirt and noticed the Yuengling Lager, glad to see you can get a good Pennsylvania beer in Georgia!  Yes, I think the 264 bell housing will work great where I have to do some machine work on it anyway, no sense cutting up a 322 bell housing for the same purpose.  I'm guessing there are a lot more 264 bell housings out there because the bulk of the 3 speed cars were Specials and pre-55 cars that came with the 264 and standard trans.   

The first 2 pics below are the '55 Super in the midst of the rear suspension upgrade.  The second 2 are what it looked like when I drove it home, good solid car with 4 minor rust holes that required small hand made patch panels.  

My grandfather's '52 Chev came home last night, surface rust only - floor and cab are solid.  Bed is very straight, only minor dings in the tailgate.  Can't wait for a little Nailhead torque and a couple of my grandkids in the cab with me!!

IMG_3266[1].JPG

IMG_3267[1].JPG

DSCN2338.JPG

DSCN2349.JPG

IMG_3326[1].JPG

• Like 2

That's sort of a vintage t-shirt, from Bobs Automobilia back about 10 years ago, before they stopped making them with the big Buick logo on the front. And Yuengling Lager is my beer of choice until mid summer when it gets hot,  then Rolling Rock with lime and salted top is a better thirst quencher. ;)

Love the Super!!  Arctic White over Condor Yellow with green interior, same as my Buttercup, '54 72R. That color combination was referred to as lemon and lime in the day.  Tha's a sweet 52 truck too. Nice patina candidate?

OK, I got in the barn today and started pulling stuff off the 3 speed shelves. I had forgotten what all I had stashed away, mostly for my Texas Pete Special hot rod project that was traded in for the factory 3 speed Century "54 Muscle". I for sure can furnish you with a bellhousing and flywheel. and fork. Question: Do you already have the Saginaw tranny? You know the 53-56  6 bolt Buick and Oldsmobile transmissions were some of the toughest 3 speed in existence back in the 50's early 60's and were popular with hot rodders of the day. If you want to go old school with that '52 Chevy you may consider using one in it. And I "might"  could help with that. Then your challenge would be how to tie into the universal joint....

Spent the rest of the day cleaning more parts to sell and was dark when I quit so didn't get pictures but will get some of what I've got for you tomorrow.

Glad you're enjoying the forum, hope you'll make us a regular pit stop. and uhh, Grandkids...you got grandkids?

• Like 1

Offering the intake manifold on the left for $150. It is off a 54 but will fit '53 thru '56. It will need cleaning and painting. The one on the right just sold on eBay for $200. email me at  1954buick at gmail dot com if interested.

P1010897.JPG

I'm most likely going to put a GM 8.5 diff in the '52 pickup and I do already have 2 Saginaw 3 speeds with different 1st & 2nd gear ratios.  The Saginaw yoke setup will be much easier to use with an open drive line and not hard to find a replacement trans if I have any issues. 

And yes grand kids!!  I was born when Dwight D. was still in the White House!  

I wouldn't buy anything from someone as dirty as that....specially since I know how dirty your mind is!  

• Like 1

Don't worry you old Buick Rascal, I wouldn't sell anything to anybody with a dirtier mind than mine ... Mr Clean

The 6 way power seat is sold. Thank you Steve, I'll separate the frame from the springs,  get her boxed up and a quote from Fastenal and let you know the shipping.   I wrestled it out of the wagon pulled the backrest off, lubed the worm gear and all joints and hooked power up to it. The motor worked great moving the worm gear shaft for vertical forward and back, tilt forward and back but only back in horizontal where it only clicks ( it may be stuck in the all the way back position). Problem was though that although the worm gear spun, it did not move the actual mechanisms.

I tapped on the "joints" and applied more PB Blaster and got the tilt to function but that was it. By this time my battery was giving up so I gave up too.

Hopefully Steve can get her functioning in all movements. Had I not needed the $$ and didn't have too many "projects" ahead of it I would have love to had this in my little Special driver. :- (

• Like 1

Pulling 54-55 nailhead engine parts next week, Also have a set of 53 heads (one year only heads) and a 53 power brake master cylinder and other assorted goodies I pulled from a 53 Roadmaster. holler if you need anything.

It did but I left it in it. I have 54 and 55 big body PS units that IIRC are the same. That may be a U-Pull item though. :D I still got one hangin lower than the other from the last time I pulled one by myself.

I might be able to do the "U Pull it" some time later this year. I agree that the '57 Special transmission is the heavier 6 Bolt?? that was used in 54 up. Would you part with one of those? Also do you have a junk wheel from a 54 thru 56 40 series or 54 thru 55 50/60 series? I need just the "snap in" clips (5 of them) that hold dog dish hub caps on. They do not have a rivet in them. There is a hole in the clip that fits over a dimple in the wheel.

Edited by g-g-g0
Added request (see edit history)

Just curious, but is a 53 power brake master cylinder identical with ones that came with 55 Buicks?  Thanks.

55 minutes ago, g-g-g0 said:

I might be able to do the "U Pull it" some time later this year. I agree that the '57 Special transmission is the heavier 6 Bolt?? that was used in 54 up. Would you part with one of those? Also do you have a junk wheel from a 54 thru 56 40 series or 54 thru 55 50/60 series? I need just the "snap in" clips (5 of them) that hold dog dish hub caps on. They do not have a rivet in them. There is a hole in the clip that fits over a dimple in the wheel.

Re the 3 speed, probably. In fact I have one that I am pretty sure is a '56 unit. I know its rear bearing retainer is about an inch longer than the 54-55's I have and the main shaft coming out the front looks different so that may work better for you.

5 minutes ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Just curious, but is a 53 power brake master cylinder identical with ones that came with 55 Buicks?  Thanks.

55 was a one year deal. 53 and 54 close to the same, most parts interchange. Then 56 went into the firewall with hinged pedals.

Lamar

Thanks for the response. I will measure the overall length of the tranny in my '57 later next week and we can compare.

Gary

• Like 1

3 hours ago, g-g-g0 said:

Lamar

Thanks for the response. I will measure the overall length of the tranny in my '57 later next week and we can compare.

Gary

Greetings the 57 stick trans rear bearig retainer/tailhousing is much longer than privious years. They also made a stronger gearset for the larger engine that 57 year which doesnt interchange with earlier, so if looking 4 a spare trans, 57-58 are direct bolt in. Have to check books 4 later, but those late 59-60 are near henz-teeth rare anyway. I have a couple 57-8 parts stick trans, but no bolt in and go stick tranys 57 58.pix if needed.

• Like 1

Was hoping you would chime in Greg, thanks for your input. 

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

So if I understand, I need to find a tranny out of a 57/58 for a direct bolt in? Probably over kill on my part but just looking for a spare.

Mr Earl: I might be interested in buying the 53 Power Brake stuff. But 53 is the year the Buick dealers quietly replaced the dangerous original setup with an improved version from a different manufacturer. Maybe you know all this, I'm strictly "internet educated" in this regard. But if it is the replacement cylinder, I need it if nobody else does. Thanks, my email is beaverbikes at gmail dot com.

I'm in need of some 56 Buick turn signals. One housing passenger side and both lenses. When I took them Off to paint they walked away.  Does the Buick garden have a set? Don't need perfection just driver quality.

On 5/8/2016 at 7:34 PM, g-g-g0 said:

So if I understand, I need to find a tranny out of a 57/58 for a direct bolt in? Probably over kill on my part but just looking for a spare.

Yes, 57-58 stick trans are a bolt for bolt match, but as rare as they are you might have a bit of a time finding one "ready to run" so to speak. I've only fond acouple of parts units after a lot of years looking! Good luck, hope you find some. Unless you mess-up shifting or beat on it, I can't see that heavy-duty thing failing very soon, especially if it's the typical low miles driven per year collector car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2carb40 said:

Yes, 57-58 stick trans are a bolt for bolt match, but as rare as they are you might have a bit of a time finding one "ready to run" so to speak. I've only fond acouple of parts units after a lot of years looking! Good luck, hope you find some. Unless you mess-up shifting or beat on it, I can't see that heavy-duty thing failing very soon, especially if it's the typical low miles driven per year collector car.

Thanks for the info. Have to take it easy dumping the clutch when setting next to some kid in a "zoom zoom" at a traffic light! 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2016 at 9:20 PM, leon bee said:

Mr Earl: I might be interested in buying the 53 Power Brake stuff. But 53 is the year the Buick dealers quietly replaced the dangerous original setup with an improved version from a different manufacturer. Maybe you know all this, I'm strictly "internet educated" in this regard. But if it is the replacement cylinder, I need it if nobody else does. Thanks, my email is beaverbikes at gmail dot com.

I'll dig it out and see what it is. I'm familiar with the factory recall of 53 brakes of which you speak. The 54 fix wasn't a lot better.