What is this AACA Award on my car? Pictures

CatBird

That is generally referred to as a "1st Junior Award" Grill Badge. It indicates that the vehicle received a first place award in the Junior Category at an AACA National Meet. The later ones show the year that the vehicle won the award. If you are looking for more information on the vehicle, you may want to contact AACA Headquarters. Given the vehicle's serial number, they may be able to find the records to show when and where it received the award and who owned it at the time it received the award.  

• Like 1

Thanks, will check, and email the VIN# to AACA. I am curious about that I have not seen a year badge before. Here is another car we have in our 1958 Cadillac. I wonder if the badge on the 1923 Depot Hack is earlier and before they added the year as below.

IMG_5121 (Medium) (Small).JPG

Edited by Bill Caddyshack (see edit history)

I did check with someone at the AACA and they said they thought that all badges had a year number, and the badges began in 1963.

Before that date, they gave out trophies.

I gave the serial number of our hack, and they are checking further. But they think it is "strange" to see our badge with no year number.

They could be mistaken. Would like to know more. I don't think that someone made a fake badge? The badge is very well made.

5 hours ago, Bill Caddyshack said:

I did check with someone at the AACA and they said they thought that all badges had a year number, and the badges began in 1963.

They could be mistaken. Would like to know more. I don't think that someone made a fake badge? The badge is very well made.

Whoever you talked to in the office undoubtedly is mistaken, not being 

aware of all the history of AACA's awards.  Director Steve Moskowitz

there in the office probably would know, however.

And there's no logic to the "fake badge" theory in this case.  The maker of a fake badge would 

try to make it look just like the original:  So if the badge was a fake, without a date, that means that

the original would have had no date, thereby demonstrating that badges really

were issued without dates.  

It looks like the older AACA award badge is enameled, and even has some relief.

Though the new ones enhance any car they're on, the old one appears to have better

(more expensive) quality of production.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

No offense to any member or to the club, but I just can't imagine drilling two holes in a car in order to affix that badge. 

Yeah, someone used nails to affix the badge on our Depot Hack. Perhaps I should get some wood putty? :rolleyes: 

CCCA members have no problem drilling two holes in the right side of the cowl to attach their award. I had no problem drilling two holes in the engine turned dash of my Riley 4Port years ago. Guess it depends on the era of the vehicle. Bob  P. S. some people don't mind drilling two more after they win a National Award. Bob

5 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

All depends on how proud you are of the award.

I would be honored to win an AACA or CCCA award had I a car that qualified as an AACA winner or a prize winning recognized classic at CCCA, but rather than drill holes in my car's sheet metal I think I would spend the $100 for a nicely sculpted finished piece of wood with a plaque attached signifying the event, date and car along with the AACA Prize Badge. 

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

The AACA sells a brass badge mount that can affix in a number of ways to the car.I fasten mine using a bumper bolt .  They also affix nicely to most car grilles.  There are lost of ways that don't involve "drilling holes"  That being said, an AACA national award is something to be very proud of and surely adds value to thecar that wins it!!!

• Like 1

This1913 Buick I offered on had the badges tacked everywhere. It had a similar undated badge centered below the "1913 BUICK". I have seem many of the early (1950s-60s hobby participants) tack them on the cowl and anywhere else that would fit. It seemed to be the thing to do at the time. Others have a display board to show the awards.

.DSCF4707.JPGDSCF4705.JPG

We use to do the same thing with antique Farm Engines. A lot of the shows we went to would give out a plaque for displaying at the shows, and we would tack them to the battery box, or on on the wooden Skids in the 1970's. One of the first ones I got the printing washed off of it while cleaning the oil off of it with a gas soaked rag. After that, I put them in a drawer and kept them nice. 

15 hours ago, DAVE A said:

The AACA sells a brass badge mount that can affix in a number of ways to the car.I fasten mine using a bumper bolt .  They also affix nicely to most car grilles.  There are lost of ways that don't involve "drilling holes"  That being said, an AACA national award is something to be very proud of and surely adds value to thecar that wins it!!!

I would agree that an award may add value to a car.

However I wont buy the idea of drilling holes to mount it would add any value, rather the opposite.

That would suggest that the AACA award trumps the originality of the said vehicle.

The March 1993 green AACA booklet of all National Award and Trophy Winners shows many 1923's in Class 11 (Model T's) along with the year and place the award was won. The list starts with the first National Winners at the 1952 Spring Meet in Pottstown, Pa., through the 1992 Hershey Fall Meet. Unfortunately, there are no body styles shown making it very difficult to know which of the 15+ cars listed is the one on the pretty Depot Hack owned by Bill and Anne. If you supply the name of previous owners it could probably be identified.

it is very strange that there is no year on the plaque. The 1924 Stanley that my father used to own won a junior at the 1953 Devon Meet and the plaque, exactly like the one you show, had the date stamped on it.

Edited by A. Ballard 35R
Clarification (see edit history)

1 hour ago, A. Ballard 35R said:

... The 1924 Stanley that my father used to own won a junior at the 1953 Devon Meet and the plaque, exactly like the one you show, had the date stamped on it.

It would be interesting to see a picture of that 1953 award plaque.

I've never seen one that old.

Even farther back in time, the AACA logo on various items

had the U's in the old Latin style, looking like V's:

thus, ANTIQVE AVTOMOBILE CLVB OF AMERICA.

I had previously noted elsewhere that this badge is genuine and common.  For a time we did not imprint the year.  As stated here there are too many 23's to choose from and the serial number is not in our database.  We would need to know the previous owner's name or the met it was shown at...sorry.

Your 1910 Franklin is shown as winning a National Junior in 1959 at Hershey in Class 14. This Class is for "Gas, vehicles, more than 4-cyl. 1908 through 1912" and includes some very impressive class winners over the years. For example: Bill Pollack's Chadwicks (1952 & 1953), Tom Lester's Thomas K 6-70 (1958), Sam Scher's Stevens-Duryea (1957) plus numerous Packards, Pierce-Arrows, and Rolls Royces. I remember seeing both Chadwicks at the Yorklyn meet in 1953 and they are outstanding cars. The Thomas is another spectacular early chain drive machine and I remember the early stages of its restoration.

As you probably know, A. H. Amick was very active in the H.H. Franklin Club and was the editor of the club publication, Aircooled News. Several of his articles appeared in the Antique Automobile. You certainly have an extremely interesting and noteworthy car and I hope you have it on the road and enjoy using it.

Thank you for the information!  We are very active in the Franklin Club and enjoy driving this car very often.  Although I did not know Red Amick personally, I sure feel like I do from all of the printed material he produced and the stories about him.

image.jpeg

Earlier badges carry neither the "Year of Award", nor the badge serial number, as evidenced below.

Upon contacting AACA National Headquarters in Hershey, we were supplied with the badge nimber, and learned that our 1915 Hudson SIX-40 had been awarded her First Junior in 1957 at the Meet  held in Pottstown PA, and earned her Senior in 1961, with First Preservation and repeat Preservation being awarded in 1989.

Our Hudson was purchased around 1952 by Washington, DC Police Officer Fred Long of  Ijamsville, MD. Fred restored the big Hudson, showed it multiple times, and was well-respected for driving the car on many long-distance tours all over the east coast. I read an article, sent to me be Fred's grandson, noting that Fred, together with his wife and children, was the leader of a Horseless Carriage Club of America (HCCA) tour from the DC area to Niagara Falls and home again. When I displayed this car at the AACA Meet in Virginia Beach in 2015, shortly after acquiring it from Dave and Babe Lanning in Florida, I was amazed at how many people came by to tell me that they knew the car from when Fred owned it until his passing 13 or so years prior, or that they had ridden in the big Hudson with Fred.

I'm honored to be able to maintain a car with a known AACA history, from a respected member, and hope to carry on the tradition by driving the now-roadworthy '15 Hudson in our upcoming 2016 Reliability Tour of Savannah, Georgia in November, to be run in conjunction with our HCCA sister club.

1915 Hudson Badges.jpg

1915 Hudson Right Front 7-15.jpg

1915 Hudson Right Side.jpg

1915 Hudson Left Rear.jpg

1915 Hudson Speedometer and Oil Pressure Guage.jpg

1915 Hudson Right Rear.jpg

1915 Hudson Dash and Wheel.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Bill Caddyshack said:

It appears that our 1923 Depot Hack was awarded Junior car in 1955 or so. Thank you for your information.

According to the list of class 11 award winners, the first 1923 was in 1957, Pottstown, with S. Groy owner. Next 1923 was 1960, Ocean City, John Hay owner. Perhaps one of these is your car.   

Wonderful to see the Franklin and Hudson outside and not gathering dust in some museum. They both look like great tour cars with six cylinder engines. Particularly like the Franklin with the huge running board spotlight and Non-Skid tires. Looks as though the picture of the car was taken in the winter so I'm sure you have plenty of anti-freeze in it ! :) 

9 hours ago, A. Ballard 35R said:

According to the list of class 11 award winners, the first 1923 was in 1957, Pottstown, with S. Groy owner. Next 1923 was 1960, Ocean City, John Hay owner. Perhaps one of these is your car.   

The seller I bought from our car owned it since 1971. He is not sure who was a previous owner, but I am digging. But it is possibly one of these cars.

Marty:

Thanks for posting photos of the Hudson. I wanted to see what you replaced the 1914 Buick with. I looked at the purchase of a very nice 1914-15? 6-40 Hudson at the Hershey car corral about 13 ? years ago. There was an executor for the estate of the deceased owner at the car whom we spoke to. They were asking $10,500. It was hard to walk away from that one.  I believe it went from owner to dealer to dealer for the next 2 years at Hershey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dibarlaw said:

Marty:

Thanks for posting photos of the Hudson. I wanted to see what you replaced the 1914 Buick with. I looked at the purchase of a very nice 1914-15? 6-40 Hudson at the Hershey car corral about 13 ? years ago. There was an executor for the estate of the deceased owner at the car whom we spoke to. They were asking $10,500. It was hard to walk away from that one.  I believe it went from owner to dealer to dealer for the next 2 years at Hershey.

Larry:

The timing of the estate and sale for the Hudson you noted would have been about the same, but may or may not be the same car. (was there a spare engine and other parts noted at that time?)

I believe that Fred's son (Fred, Jr.) sold the car directly to Dave Lanning, and that Dave had it for the entire time until I got it Easter Sunday, 2015. I've also been in touch with Fred Long's grandson Jim.

Obviously I paid A LOT MORE than the $10,500 price you were offered 13 years ago. Sorry you missed it - these are a very nice driving car. Of course our former '14 Buick B-37 was a great car as well - I just wanted a bigger car, and could not find a B-55 or C-55 Buick 6-cylinder at the time. I still want a 1915 (or early 1916) Cadillac Touring, but seem priced out of the market.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Funny, I was just reading this thread and thinking "Hey, I saw a Franklin day before yesterday that had a non-year AACA badge", and POOF there's a picture!

The CCCA has a long standing tradition of mounting an award badge on the right cowl of the car.  Two little holes don't hurt, in my mind, as the award stays on the car.  I just had a Packard owner (whose car I upholstered and topped) ask me should he drill holes for his new CCCA badge, and I said heck yeah, be proud of it!  ....just as stated above...

172.JPG