New Teves II Cylinders?? (Canadian here - I can't ship new accumulators past the border)

Guest 1990buickultra

Guest 1990buickultra

Hello I have given up on trying to find a new accumulator - the only ones I find are usually cannot be shipped across the border (this includes the usual suspects like SpinningWheels and Amazon - though that hasn't been an viable option in a while)

Not sure if Buick Reatta Parts or East Coast Reatta Parts company still sells accumulators

2 questions for you all

a- for the Canadians on this board - where do you find your brake parts if they cannot cross the border? do you deliberately go on vacation to get parts- that is what I feel I have to do

b- I have found some 'new' Master cylinders online? would the accumulators on these Master Cylinders be 20 yeat old NOS or new units? (See below)

http://www.invasionautoproducts.com/abspump-and-motor-buick-abs-gm88-90.html

http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/25535706.html

Thank you - from someone trying to save a 1989-1990 Buick Ultra P/A - A car that is becoming rather scarce 

Cheers 

Edited by 1990buickultra (see edit history)

If you break down the assembly, there are 3 sections..........

(1) the master cylinder and booster are one unit...the service manual tells you not to separate them.

(2) the ABS valve body bolts to the side of the master cylinder and would not come with the MC if you ordered just the MC

(3) the pump assembly is the pump housing with motor plus the accumulator and pressure switch.  This bolts to the side of the M with one bolt and is an easy item to get if you find one at a salvage yard.

As a rule, master cylinders/booster seldom go bad.

The ABS valve body is not a problem area

The main components that fail are (A) the accumulator (B) the pressure switch (C) the pump relay

I am attaching a picture of the entire unit as it is bolted on the firewall.

The second photo shows the pump, accumulator, pressure sw assembly separated from the MC

85_1.jpg

abspumpswacc2.jpg

Guest 1990buickultra

Thanks Barney for the technical breakdown - if possible I would purchase all three items the accumulator, pressure switch and pump relay -

My past attempts at purchasing a new accumulator have failed as I am unable to get an accumulator shipped across the border, hence my search for a whole new MC, as for the other two I haven't looked yet 

from the image shown on one of the links - it appears to contain everything you mentioned above - do you think it is reasonable to assume that this is a functioning unit - or just some old part that might fail prematurely? http://www.invasionautoproducts.com/abspump-and-motor-buick-abs-gm88-90.html

teves11abs.jpe

According to the link you provided that takes you to Invasion Auto Products, The condition of the unit is listed a REBUILT and it has a "Full one year unlimited mileage warranty".

It's a rather pricy item but if you need it... You need it.

What's the deal with shipping an accumulator to the great white north anyway?

John F.

Guest Corvanti

there's a lot of folks in Canada that belong to the Studebaker Club that get around the "no shipping to Canada" by having the item mailed to a trusted friend in the U.S. - around the border. the friends then either meet somewhere or he mails it in a bigger plain box to Canada. idk how  the mailing part would go with the postal authorities - if that's why the seller(s) won't ship it to Canada, or they just don't want to go thru any hassles regarding "international shipping"... 

i agree with John that the unit is pricey, etc. and idk if they would give you the $100 core charge back since i assume you have the stock one in the Reatta.

Guest 1990buickultra

hmmm I thought the $900 item was a steal for a rebuild and warranty - considering the price of accumulators (which I assume are in the $300 range now that SpinningWheels is out of stock)

@Corvanti the MC is actually for my 1990 Buick Park Avenue Ultra with the infamous 20 way seats (and requisite hard to find trim parts) - its got Bose, digi dash and moonroof so I figure I should save it ....I believe Reatta/P/A's MC's are interchangeable?

pic of seat controls 

pic of MC in car

seatcontrols.jpg

teves2.jpg

hmmm I thought the $900 item was a steal for a rebuild and warranty - considering the price of accumulators (which I assume are in the $300 range now that SpinningWheels is out of stock)

In that context, you are right. You also get the added benefit of being able to go another couple of decades of trouble free service from the ABS. If you go with changing out the whole unit, I would flush the system with the old one before swapping them out.

John F.