46 Continental power steering

Hi Dale, Hope you are asking this question in good faith, because the idea of updating the classic Lincoln into a contemporary contender has been a prevalent idea since the 1950's, and apparently with your question is still out there, which is OK, and ownership of a car is it's own reward, so if you can not find an appropriate power steering unit to install, you might consider putting in a whole new power plant, like a Ferrari V-12, which I am sure has a very acceptable power steering unit, and the V-12 emblems on the car would still be correct, have to admit I have entertained the idea myself, the only trouble is, the donor Ferrari may be more desirable than the 60 year old Lincoln, how does one resolve that??

• 2 months later...

aside from the sarcasim. Power steering for your Continental might be possible by adapting an early('53 on up)Ford linkage type power steering system but you'd still be stuck with the same gear ratio and this might be a little "loose" for safe driving. You would have to adapt the Lincoln drag link to the Ford control valve and then mate this to the pitman arm. The power cylinder would also have to be adapted to the drag link on one end and mounted on the frame on the other end. Now that we did all this we need to some how mount a pump to the V-12. You would almost have to construct a modified pulley( crankshaft) to drive the pump. If we got this far there would be some monkeying around metering pump pressure to match the reduced pressure needed for all this. Nothing is impossible , but I would certainly have a spare drag link available When you got tired of fiddling with this.