Clutch will not engage

Guest pneeme

Guest pneeme

I have a 1962 ford fairlane it has the 170 straight six and the three speed Collum shift I just put a new clutch in the car got it all together and the clutch will not engage to shift gears I tried to adjust it the rod is pushing the throw out barring but to will not engage I've played with the adjuster all the way up and down any ideas. Thanks. Patrick

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm afraid that transmission is going to have to come out again.  D Yaris is about right.  Most likely the clutch is in backwards and won't seat to the flywheel.  When you put it together next time, look to see that the clutch disk is clamped to the flywheel after the pressure plate is installed.  You may have an inspection pan on the bottom of the bell housing.  If so remove it an see if you can tell if the clutch is in contact with the flywheel.

Guest pneeme

The clutch is in correctly it actually tells you what side is the flywheel side is there a special way to put the pressure late in when I have it all bolted up there is no room for the throw out berring to engage well disengage the clutch from flywheel  I pulled the trans out again so any ideas would be helpful when the clutch and pressure plate are bolted to the flywheel the three prongs that the throw out berring pushes on are already pressed in and will not move in any farther towards the flywheel thanks  hope to hear ANY ideas I'm stumped

8 hours ago, pneeme said:

The clutch is in correctly it actually tells you what side is the flywheel side is there a special way to put the pressure late in when I have it all bolted up there is no room for the throw out berring to engage well disengage the clutch from flywheel  I pulled the trans out again so any ideas would be helpful when the clutch and pressure plate are bolted to the flywheel the three prongs that the throw out berring pushes on are already pressed in and will not move in any farther towards the flywheel thanks  hope to hear ANY ideas I'm stumped

Sum Ting Wong..................................Bob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aaron65 said:

Did you compare your old and new parts to make sure they are the same?  You never know what's in the box these days.

Last step before installation.

From your description I would suspect an incorrect pressure plate (sometimes called the clutch cover).

Usually if clutch disc is in backwards don't the disc springs hit the flywheel, where as when in correct the springs are concealed in the pressure plate opening?   If the disc was in backwards I would think all kind of noise would be present, IMO.

Been a while since I change a clutch, but that's how I remember such.

Dale in Indy

I think if it was indeed in backwards the springs would hold the disc away from home so when the cover was tightened it would pull the forks down thus making the clutch impossible to engage. (or disengage, in other words not move)

Since it is tightened it wouldn't make any noise, it would just spin with the engine.

A look up from the bottom may prove or disprove this theory.

Tell us what you find pneeme. Looks like a fun car.

Guest pneeme

Jack m that is what it does the forks on the pressure plate go in and no more room for the throw out berring to push in any further but the clutch is in on the correct side it tells me what side is the flywheel side

Are you using a new pressure plate or the old one?  If it is a new one, try bolting up the old one and see if it does the same thing.  The fingers on the pressure plate should not depress all the way in when you bolt up the pressure plate. 

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 5:04 AM, pneeme said:

I pulled the trans out again so any ideas would be helpful when the clutch and pressure plate are bolted to the flywheel the three prongs that the throw out berring pushes on are already pressed in and will not move in any farther towards the flywheel

On some clutch covers with coil, rather than diaphragm, springs there are little clips installed under the levers for transportation. It is worth checking if those clips are still in place. They should become loose when the cover is bolted up to the flywheel as the main springs become slightly compressed. You must remove the clips otherwise the three levers will be unable to move and to release the clutch.

Hope this makes sense.

Adam.. 

Guest pneeme

Summit redesigned the clutch by putting a small collar on the trans side so when you mount up everything th collar bottoms out on the trans and does not allow the throw out berring to disengage the clutch so now I'm looking for a nos clutch the clutch they have is for the mustang falcon and fairlane for the 144 ci.and tho 170 ci. Engines 

There are places that will rebuild your old clutch plate.

However as Bhigdog suggests a good parts store will have or can get what you need.

I deal with Summit on occasion and have had pretty good luck with them, but sometimes the savings may not be worth the hassle of the time it takes to return and/or exchange parts if they are not right.

I will add that they are willing to accept returns and exchanges gladly and even supply a prepaid return label. I like these guys when I am not in a hurry.

It's immediately evident that you have two different discs. The splined hub on the new one is much too long and that is why you don't have enough T/O bearing travel to disengage. I am assuming you mean, in your first post, that the clutch won't disengage, not engage. There is a difference. When you let up on the pedal, the clutch engages. When you step on it, it disengages.

Always compare new parts against the old ones. If there is a difference, find out why. Sometimes it does make a difference

• Like 1

Guest pneeme

I called summit and they said it shouldn't interfere with anything so I went through with installing the clutch but there were problems  with the coller on the new one 

Interesting.

Those tech (phone) guys at the catalogue stores can sometimes be of help and sometimes not.

I guess its just like the walk in stores, some of those guys should be working at the car wash.

Cool car by the way...;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest pneeme

Got everything finally put back together with the relined clutch disk and everything works like a charm now to send her out For pant then to try to find some NOS seat covers

Guest pneeme

Thankyou all for all the knowledge and tips  on this project once the restoration is complete I'll post pics on my profile if it Warner for you guys I'd still be scratching my head

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg