A/C Sealant

Paul Falabella

2 hours ago, Fr. Buick said:

Sounds a bit too good to be true.

What symptom are you looking to fix?

Nothing in particular, just looking for someones experience.

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

DO   NOT   DO   IT  !

Lots of YouTube videos on HVAC stop leak.  Nasty stuff.  Try in a terminal system you don't care about.

I do have a friend with a 92 Saturn.

• Like 1

My MACS CFC-12 certification for refrigerant recycling and service is dated May 1, 1991. And I have two patents for refrigerant reclamation and recycling equipment. I wouldn't use a pump in stop leak. It is best to leak test and repair leaks. If you have a fitted joint that needs a better seal than you can get with an O-ring or standard joining methods, Leak Lock, http://www.highsidechem.com/pdfs/leaklock.pdf  

is the only product I have used and like.

In the same vein, I still have a 30# jug of R-12 for my personal use and have no intention of converting any older systems to 134A. Of course, I drive on biased tires, too. So I might have no credibility.

Bernie

• Like 2

Apart from any other part on the A/C system, you have a t/x valve or an orifice tube, both are restrictions to gas flow and are very sensitive to foreign objects blocking them up. Being an auto elec, a major part of my job is A/C repair and nothing on this planet would make me add a stop leak to a system. The very nature of a stop leak (to plug up a hole) means it would be no good. Stupid sales gimmick (seen it advertised "every A/C service gets bla bla stop leak installed to protect against future leaks")

I have not come across it yet, but I hope they "sticker" the car, would hate to have that crap go through my equipment 

10 hours ago, Ttotired said:

Apart from any other part on the A/C system, you have a t/x valve or an orifice tube, both are restrictions to gas flow and are very sensitive to foreign objects blocking them up. Being an auto elec, a major part of my job is A/C repair and nothing on this planet would make me add a stop leak to a system. The very nature of a stop leak (to plug up a hole) means it would be no good. Stupid sales gimmick (seen it advertised "every A/C service gets bla bla stop leak installed to protect against future leaks")

I have not come across it yet, but I hope they "sticker" the car, would hate to have that crap go through my equipment 

Excellent point. Expansion valve,is by nature a tiny hole. You put a substance in the system that plugs tiny holes?

If anyone is a member of ASHRAE, there is an ironic and somewhat comical article in this month's journal. It's about a poorly designed and poorly built AC unit with compromised orifices. That unit got band aided even though it shouldn't have ever existed.

No substitute for just doing it right.

Bernie