Cloth Fuel Line Insulation

38Buick 80C

I have some cloth insulation sleeves around some fuel lines on the '38. As far as I know they are original 80 year old stuff (probably asbestos). I think I have seen some restored cars with modern clean white insulation of similar appearance. I'm looking for a source. I am pretty sure I have seen it at Hershey or in a catalog somewhere but looking at some of the usual suppliers websites I haven't been able to locate it. Even been to a couple big Ford parts supplier sites. Anyone know what I am talking about and where to get it?

Can't recall where but I have seen it for sell somewhere. The reason I post though is to ask have you considered washing yours. Seriously, if it is in good condition and with it still on the heat tube let it soak in HOT water for a couple minutes then run a thick bead  of Dawn over it then scrub with a short bristle brush and rinse under HOT water again. You'll be surprised how clean it will come. First one I did I was surprised to see the Buick Engine Green paint thick on one side. 

I found what looks like fiberglass cloth with a foil covering........these are easily found on 1990-2000 GM front drive vehicles.    The unit is about 19 inches long and covers a brake line that runs across the fire wall (low) and is used to protect that brake line from the header heat.    If you cut the brake line, they slide off in one piece and can be used for many things.   The inside diameter is large enough for any gas line.  I don't recall which cars, but some of these appear to be carbon fiber cloth as it is black and I had to use a cut-off wheel to cut it.

Similar material in sheets can be found on post 2000 GM car tunnels, they used it to replace sheet metal shields.

Not stock but could eliminate vapor lock

DSCN0099x.jpg

DSCN0103x.jpg

2 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Can't recall where but I have seen it for sell somewhere. The reason I post though is to ask have you considered washing yours. Seriously, if it is in good condition and with it still on the heat tube let it soak in HOT water for a couple minutes then run a thick bead  of Dawn over it then scrub with a short bristle brush and rinse under HOT water again. You'll be surprised how clean it will come. First one I did I was surprised to see the Buick Engine Green paint thick on one side. 

Oh and the most important part of the above procedure, clean the kitchen sink before the wife gets home!!

• Like 3

I have a '38 Roadmaster too. I thought that the car was completely original when i bought it about 40 years ago. The car hadnt been restored, just barely maintained. 

Where does your car have that insulation? I'd like to get mine right.

7 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I have some paint or something on mine, but good tip.

4 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

I have a '38 Roadmaster too. I thought that the car was completely original when i bought it about 40 years ago. The car hadnt been restored, just barely maintained. 

Where does your car have that insulation? I'd like to get mine right.

Hey Don,

I'm doing this on memory cause the car is at the upholstery shop but I think on the fuel line that runs right in front of the head. But don't trust my car as original. Previous owner did a half- you know what job, but it "looks" orginal, so who knows. 

2 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Hey Don,

I'm doing this on memory cause the car is at the upholstery shop but I think on the fuel line that runs right in front of the head. But don't trust my car as original. Previous owner did a half- you know what job, but it "looks" original, so who knows. 

correction it's on the vacuum line to the bottom of the carb, (that's weird, does that make any sense?) see attached photo from earlier in the restoration (running down intake manifold).

38C 070813 008.jpg

Thanks Bryan,

I see. I cant imagine why they would have insulated that line.

I have and have had three '38 Buicks. All for a very long time. Specials and Roadmaster. None had that line insulated and I believed them to be tired original cars.

Also, in the old Torque Tube, it is a subject that was never mentioned.

There is no downside to insulating it, though. The gasoline line would be more logical to insulate.

• Like 1

I have seen some ThermoTec "tubes" advertised (and probably on their website), which is probably what Old-Tank referenced from Summit Racing.

"Insulating"  a vacuum line might be more for abrasion resistance than "insulation".

GM has used "insulating sleeves" on some underhood lines of their cars for a good while.  Finding the correct sizing would relate to the model and placement on the vehicle.

Hadn't heard of McMaster-Carr.  I'll have to check that out!

NTX5467