What is going on with the forum this morning?

hddennis

At 10:45 this morning I get 2 emails suggesting I'm following a post about someone wanting to identify a photo of Grandpa's car in Quebec in the early 1900's.  I wasn't following a post and it was the very first post so I was probably the first viewer after this notification I didn't request. Curious, I was able to determine it was a Briscoe but this "wonderful" new version wouldn't allow me to up load any photos to prove it. Now it can't even locate the original post???

Howard Dennis

I have no idea about any "following" notifications.

What do you mean by "now I'm getting spam notifications!"? There was one spam post this morning that I saw and deleted but nobody reported it before I deleted it and banned the spammer.

I received 2 email notifications of a post I was supposedly following, I wasn't as I hadn't signed up for the notifications nor was I aware of the posts existence. When I tried to respond to the post it wasn't there.  Then I received another email from the forum saying I was following a post from a spammer.

Howard Dennis  

Here's what I was sent:

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png
spacer.png Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums spacer.png
spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png
spacer.png
Hi hddennis,
seokeys1 has posted a topic, SeoKeys Company | Search Enigine Optimization Services

48286821f2a8f3ce1878337b3f3623f9?d=http%  
Posted in General Discussion

Our SeoKeys Company is Passionate about Your Profit. If you want Top Rankings then you want us. Get Started with a Comprehensive analysis Today.

Go to this Topic

— Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

I have no idea how you were following that discussion, but that is the spammer that I banned and the spam post that I deleted this morning.

That exactly the reason I posted , I WASN'T following these at all, They just showed up in my email this morning.

Howard Dennis

If you viewed that topic, it could be that you accidentally clicked on the follow button. I can think of no other logical explanation for it. It would not be the first time that someone accidentally clicked on something on a computer without realizing it. :)

16 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

If you viewed that topic, it could be that you accidentally clicked on the follow button. I can think of no other logical explanation for it. It would not be the first time that someone accidentally clicked on something on a computer without realizing it. :)

You  win, I give up!! I've tried every way possible to say I had nothing to do with this, viewing or otherwise!  All three posts just showed up uninvited in my email inbox this morning. I was the very first viewer BECAUSE of the emails so I COULDN'T have possibly  "ACCIDENTLY" have clicked on something before I visited the post at the request of these mysterious emails.

Howard Dennis

I don't think that anybody wins. I don't think that there is any competition. I simply commented based on the limited information available to me. 

Like I said previously, I can think of no other logical explanation.

Perhaps Peter Gariepy can find some explanation of your experience, but that is certainly beyond anything that I can do. Feel free to send him a PM or an email if you have any further questions or information on this issue.

7 hours ago, hddennis said:

At 10:45 this morning I get 2 emails suggesting I'm following a post about someone wanting to identify a photo of Grandpa's car in Quebec in the early 1900's.  I wasn't following a post and it was the very first post so I was probably the first viewer after this notification I didn't request. Curious, I was able to determine it was a Briscoe but this "wonderful" new version wouldn't allow me to up load any photos to prove it. Now it can't even locate the original post???

Howard Dennis

I got a message like that flash up on my screen this morning, but it went away and have not had any trouble since. I was answering the same post about the Briscoe at the time.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, hddennis said:

Thanks John, I was beginning to feel like the Lone Wolf here.

Howard Dennis

Nope....you are not the Lone Wolf. The other day, I got some spam like that Korean stuff in my email. It said it was from the AACA, but when I looked, it was that spam. Have not had any since. I think it was the day after the forum was "fixed" from spam. No complaints since.

FWIW... in the upper right hand corner there is a box that says "follow".  There is a number 2 there.  If you click on the number it shows two followers of this forum topic, hddennis and cahartley.

Edit: I guess it was intentionally turned on?

Edited by JD in KC (see edit history)

7 hours ago, cahartley said:

Just because an email SAYS it came from somewhere doesn't mean it did.

Hackers learned how to spoof email addresses years ago.

They've even made email headers hard to verify....... :wacko:

Guess the hackers set up the link to take me to the AACA website, how diabolical!

Howard Dennis

2 hours ago, JD in KC said:

FWIW... in the upper right hand corner there is a box that says "follow".  There is a number 2 there.  If you click on the number it shows two followers of this forum topic, hddennis and cahartley.

Edit: I guess it was intentionally turned on?

Brilliant deduction! I turned it on after being taken there by the email found in my inbox.

Howard Dennis

I have my e-Mail set up to show the link URL a button connects to in the status line and when it is not something I know, I do not click. My machine is also set to "paranoid" on both Defender and EMET &  almost all add-ins for the browser are turned off.

Header (last "Received: from" line) is best for telling you that the eMail did not come from somewhere & http://geektools.com/whois.php is good for finding where the original relay point was.