1948 Dodge Deluxe stalling

Guest xcatdaddyx

Guest xcatdaddyx

Hey guys, just bought a 48 Dodge Deluxe.It wasn't running when i brought it home until I just tightened down the positive battery cable and it fired right up.  I was driving it yesterday and it stalled out on me and wouldn't start again. Today I took a wire brush to both the positive and negative terminals and it started right up. I let it run for about 3 mins, it stalled and wouldn't start again. I'm new to working on cars so I'm not sure how to diagnose the problem. Anyone have advice? I'm gonna try changing the spark plugs and coil maybe ?

Check fuel filters first.

Don't throw parts at it unless its needed. You can hook up a loose spark plug and lay it on the head, have someone crank it  to look for spark.

Do this in the dark.

Also if you can, start it in the dark and look to see if there is a light show around the plug wires.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xcatdaddyx

OK, plugs are good, coil is good, replaced the fuel pump and filter. Still no luck. Maybe the carb needs rebuilt or the gas is really dirty from the gas tank?

If its not cranking take a look at the battery cables, if it has those replacement ends that use two screws and a small plate to capture that cable that is a very common place for them to loose contact. Take them all apart and clean thoroughly.

If it is cranking check for spark as I described above.

If it has spark then drip a little gas down the carburetor and see if it fires. Only about two thimble fulls max.

If it kicks then dies you have a fuel problem. could be carb, pump, filter, plugged up rubber line (the gas these days will plug up a line from the inside and it may look fine from the outside). Or it could be pulling air thru a leaking line that won't drip fuel but will let air in and starve the engine.

I had a problem like this with my Dodge.  It turned out I had a loose connection on the back side of the ignition key.  When you turn the key on you activate the ignition system.  If there is a loose connection between the key switch to the coil, you loose the ignition system which kills the car.  Road vibration can make it happen randomly.  The loose wire bounces in the wrong position and all of a sudden nothing, for no apparent reason.

Check under the dash.

Edited by Ron42Dodge (see edit history)

Had the exact same problem with my '36 first time I started her up after a 20 year storage too. Got it running, drove it about 2 blocks and it stalled. I waited for maybe 10-15 minutes and it would start back up again then stall in short time, each time this cycle happened it seemed it had a bit shorter run time.

Long story short, I found the short length of original rubber flex hose between the fuel line and the fuel pump was collapsing inside. The rubber in there was all swollen and mushy. Replaced the line with a modern fuel capable rubber line and all was well.

Original style rubber gas line failure in modern fuels.jpg

Original rubber fuel line cut open showing swelling restriction.

36 Dodge Fuel Hose.JPG

Correct looking hose for '36 Dodge

Edited by 1936 D2
second photo (see edit history)