nick8086

Looking for a group one 6 volt battery..

Looking for a group one 6 volt battery..

What price or options should I look at??

One thing to NOT look for is CHEAP.

Ask the supplier when the battery was manufactured and go for all the CCA (cold cranking amps) you can afford.

I need to replace this one... Getting the  car ready to show... Once I get it out will I have brakes... ??? 

Just waxed it today...

IMG_0663.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

I get group 2 batteries at batteries plus, about $80.00.not sure what difference a group one is. maybe just different measurement to fit where yours is. what kind of air cleaner is that?   skyler

Reality is you won't have much choice if size is a deciding factor.

Deka makes a good group 1 battery. The grouping is the battery size and type. They should be available at most good auto stores but nothing is low priced today.

I "second the emotion" on the DEKA battery.  Bought my Group 2 at Batteries Plus (it has to be ordered in), has about 780 cold cranking amps, and cost me $85-95 a couple years ago.  I think Batteries Plus sells it under a different brand name.  Check the size of your battery tray, you might be able to hold either a group 1 or 2.  However, these are the traditional lead acid batteries and you can expect maybe 4-5 years from them if maintained correctly.  Be aware that you can get an Optima gel-type battery with even more CCA which will last much longer, and take up less space.  You'll either have to put some blocks around the Optima battery (to keep it from rolling around, since it's so small) or buy one of those plastic "fake batteries" that fit around the Optimas and make them look like a traditional battery. I think the Optimas run maybe $150 or more, and the fake battery cover will run maybe $100 more than that, though of course it's a one-time purchase.

Either way, go for the highest CCA rating, and be sure to buy locally, not on the internet, because if the battery fails you do not want to go through the process of shipping it back to the internet seller!

Although I don't know where you are located I will add that I have had great success with batteries from Farm and Fleet based in Wisconsin. They last for years. I do keep a maintainer on them when I am not going to use the car for a while. Also use them in Daily drivers with great results.

9 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Although I don't know where you are located I will add that I have had great success with batteries from Farm and Fleet based in Wisconsin. They last for years. I do keep a maintainer on them when I am not going to use the car for a while. Also use them in Daily drivers with great results.

Yes, Tractor and farm supply outfits usually have a variety.

9 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Blains Farm and Fleet has them on sale $39.99. Locations in Wis. ILL. and Iowa.   Mine lasted 5 yrs. I'm on my second one now.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/040573-blains-farm-and-fleet-6v-24-month-commercial-battery.html#.U96Apdx0zX4

10 hours ago, AJFord54 said:

I have used a NAPA battery and it has lasted for several years - still going.  Nice plain-Jane looks, not like an Interstate green.

I turned my Farm and Fleet battery into a retro looking battery.

willard10.JPG

I recently bought a NEWer 6v battery, spent the money and got me the Optima Red Top

Ordered from Amazon, they shipped, it arrived and they are a Certified Seller so the Warranty is good !!

Also picked up a Battery Tender for it as well

I found that the Optima's are best priced at Summit racing.com

free shipping, no core chg.

14 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Amazon.com has a 6 volt Optima with 800 cold cranking amps for $112.59.  they last about 7 years.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=6+volt+Optima+battery

I too use Amazon.com ,

but I frequently double up and run a pair of 6-Volt Optima batteries in Parallel - so I keep it at 6-Volt, Use Triple Aught cable (000), and never have cranking, starting, or slow-running problems, even if doing a night-time parade.

Yeah, it costs a few bucks, but Amazon does have the freshest Optima battery.

The last time I tried to by one from one of the local National brand Auto Parts stores, their optima had been on the shelf for 2-1/2 years. The kid behind the computer/register tried to assure that it was "Just as good", and still had a One-Year warranty - Oh, and they wanted over $200 each plus tax.

Will the 6-Volt Optima  fit in the battery tray?? Looks long... not square..

Bought a  6 Volt Battery for my 1915 Buick from Tractor Supply and it lasted 7 Years. Went back and bought another several years ago and it is still good. Dandy Dave! 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2016 at 2:27 AM, nick8086 said:

Will the 6-Volt Optima  fit in the battery tray?? Looks long... not square..

It fits in mine, and a pair of them also fit side-by-side, connected in Parallel