1929 DA sedan part...what is it?

Bob Zetnick

Paint and body are almost done on my '29 DA. The guys have this part left over and I have never seen it before....I was wondering if it's part of the windshield assembly as it's that long and I didn't take the windshield apart.....any ideas?

Lastly, In putting on the fenders does the fender welting on the front fenders just go the length of hood sill plates or all the way down the fender towards runningboards against the frame?

Thanks!

DSCN4393.JPG

(Looks a bit like part of the top hinge from a windshield. How long is it?)

Keiser, yes, I thought that too as I've never taken the windshield apart in 45 years which was done recently ...it's about the length of the windshield (I didn't measure), but the windshield has the hinge on it and the holes on the hinge match up with the windshield header....the holes on the piece photographed don't line up w/ anything.

Regarding the fender welting, on the Victory, one year earlier than the DA, the welting when clear down to the running board and then all along the back of the running board, stopping just at the rear fender where a second piece took over. That front piece is quite long. Many restorers stop at the running board and then start up a new piece behind the running board. I can't say for sure but because of the similarity between the Victory and the DA, it is likely that your car followed this pattern.

As Keiser said.

Part of the hinge should be spot welded to top of windshield frame. The corresponding part is attached to the body. Not sure how originally done, think with metal thread screws (that's what I did anyway) and the two parts of the hinge slide together, little tabs stop it from going too far except when assembling it.

John