dynaflow question

jajolee

I would assume that those ears would be the attaching points for rear engine mounts (or transmission mounts). Oldsmobile engines were not mounted at the sides. They had one front mount, and then a pair at a crossmember where the engine and transmission were joined. Because of those rear mounts, the transmission was not mounted at the tailshaft. Buick and Cadillac transmissions were mounted to a crossmember at the tailshaft.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oldsfan said:

the transmission was not mounted at the tailshaft. Buick and Cadillac transmissions were mounted to a crossmember at the tailshaft.

this transmission has  mounting hole's at the taishaft

the bolts on the left side where for the oilcooler

DSCF6464.JPG

Edited by jajolee (see edit history)

That part of the Dynaflow unit was not changed. On a Buick, the torque tube would attach at the end. Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs had an extension added. Oldsmobiles may have had another crossmember added for this rear mount, but they still used mounts at the front of the transmission to support the rear of the engine.

Here's a good article I found online:

https://issuu.com/buickclub/docs/2014_03

They must have change the tail section, but I thought I read that they didn't. My '62 Olds parts book has some '53 Olds Dynaflow diagrams. I remembered to take some pics. That piece is actually called a retainer. Part number 1345034.

20160414_211751[1].jpg

20160414_211702[1].jpg