1965 Chrome Wheels in 17 or 18 inch?

Chimera

See if you can find the name Gil Losi on the internet and somehow tie Riviera into your search.  He had a one off set of Buick rally wheels made that were 18".  He could probably tell you where and how much to have a set made.  Anyone who was at the ROA event in Flagstaff in '06 got to see them up close and personal.

Ed

Using Google, I found an article from a magazine that says that Gil had Mike at Boyd Coddington's shop make the wheels for him.  From the article "Gil modeled the wheels after factory Buick sport rims and designed them on his own CAD program before having them machined by Mike Curtis at Boyd Coddington's shop."  If they came out of Boyd's shop you can bet they were some high dollar pieces.  :)

Read more: http://www.customrodder.com/features/0509cr_1967_buick_riviera/#ixzz45YCDQlRG

A little more research shows that Mike Curtis may now have his own shop.

http://curtisspeed.com/wheels/

Ed

For what it is worth, read a very interesting article last night regarding the use of Plus sizes wheels and tyres on vehicles, certainly a thought provoking read and made me rethink putting any other size apart from OEM on ANY vehicle, let alone my Riviera.

The site came up in another Buick forum and can be found under Tuneruniversity.com. Lots of other interesting stuff about low temp thermostats, radiator caps etc.

When looking at any aftermarket wheels and tyres, especially those in Plus sizes eg going from 15" to 17" or 19", makes you think carefully at the other side of the ledger apart from " how cool they look" . Everyone seems focused on getting the rolling diameter the same so it doesn't affect the speedo reading but neglects the unsprung weight, ride and handling characteristics of the Plus size wheels and lower profile tyres.

worth a look, a few myths busted

just my two bobs worth.

Guest dwhiteside64

Thanks Rodney for sharing some of what you found out concerning non-stock tire sizes. They way the trend is going I wouldn't be suprised if we see 30" rims on a Smart Car one day lol. I'll stick with my stock 15s thank you...

30 minutes ago, RivNut said:

That must be something fairly new on the market.  I think this wheel is not new in the 4-3/4" bolt circle but I'd bet a bunch that the 5" bolt circle hasn't been available for long.  Nice find.  Thanks for posting.

Ed

When I spoke with Jeremy at Circle Racing a couple of years ago he said he could make me 17 inch wheels with a 5x5 bolt pattern but it's really just a modified Magnum wheel (flat center disc, not concave).

35 minutes ago, Rivdrivn said:

When I spoke with Jeremy at Circle Racing a couple of years ago he said he could make me 17 inch wheels with a 5x5 bolt pattern but it's really just a modified Magnum wheel (flat center disc, not concave).

It definitely has that two piece look of the rally wheels from the intermediate sized Buicks from the era.  Still, not a bad looking wheel.  Didn't that wheel come in a 15 x 7 size on the early 70's (Skylark) GS when it was available with the 360 hp 455?

Ed

So with Eds initial lead I was able to track down the guy who made the wheels for that 67 Below. His name is Mike Curtis. He said  that he can replicate the original wheels in larger sizes for a ballpark figure of $4500 a set (Im sure the price varies per project).

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

19 hours ago, RivNut said:

That must be something fairly new on the market.  I think this wheel is not new in the 4-3/4" bolt circle but I'd bet a bunch that the 5" bolt circle hasn't been available for long.  Nice find.  Thanks for posting.

Ed

The latest (June 2016) Hot Rod Magazine has a '65 with these rims on it.  That's where I saw it.  They look great.