Wooly15

1956 Super-Purchase and tech questions

7 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Gorgeous black Super Adam.

I can move this thread over to the Me and My Buick forum if you'd like. that is where most members post their cars or  build projects. Easier to keep to the top and to search.This forum is used more for technical questions and advice.  Your call though.

That would be great, thanks!

Just saw that you had actually already posted there, :wacko: so will leave this here for tech help. 

Probably just as well, I'm definitely going to need it! 

Maybe we need to get Speedo to make a new category for those of us who live on the darker side.  Mr. Falabella would be welcome too, of course. Yes, an area for Big Bad Black Buick Blogging!

or maybe not...

24 minutes ago, SpecialEducation said:

Maybe we need to get Speedo to make a new category for those of us who live on the darker side.  Mr. Falabella would be welcome too, of course. Yes, an area for Big Bad Black Buick Blogging!

or maybe not...

Hmmmmm    I fear that one could too easily typo that and go somewhere NSFO.  Funny though! :-)

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Wooly I hope we're back on the right track with this thread, it got sort of convoluted when I moved it back here. Anything new to report?

Secured a nice pair of exhaust manifolds today and nearly blew my elbows out polishing! That's a lot of chrome! :o A powerball is in my future! This weekend I will be flushing the chocolate milk out of the cooling system. Looks like it been a while.

10 hours ago, Wooly15 said:

This weekend I will be flushing the chocolate milk out of the cooling system

Oh Oh! Sounds like oil in the water. What does the oil look like? ........................Bob

The oil isn't milky and there's no oil in the coolant after it settled all night. I think it's just been way too long between flushes. 

• Like 1

Coolant flushed, new points, plugs and oil. Still needs a carb cleaning but starts and runs 100% better. When changing the oil filter element, I couldn't find the old gasket so I assumed it either fell in the catch pan or there wasn't one there. I even scraped around with a screwdriver.  First test run and oil was POURING on the ground. It was still up in there, hiding, not letting the new one seal. :angry:

So, any tips/tricks to not making a gigantic mess when changing that filter? My 61 f100 had the modern filter adapter installed before me. This is my first rodeo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wooly15 said:

Coolant flushed, new points, plugs and oil. Still needs a carb cleaning but starts and runs 100% better. When changing the oil filter element, I couldn't find the old gasket so I assumed it either fell in the catch pan or there wasn't one there. I even scraped around with a screwdriver.  First test run and oil was POURING on the ground. It was still up in there, hiding, not letting the new one seal. :angry:

So, any tips/tricks to not making a gigantic mess when changing that filter? My 61 f100 had the modern filter adapter installed before me. This is my first rodeo.

Oil will pour out if filter housing is not perfectly seated. And yes old gasket will stick. You don't want to tighten so much that you crush the gasket either. I hold the housing in place while tightening the bolt.

Gotcha. What's the best method of keep oil from going all over when initially taking out the old filter?

Nice to see the previous owner made the effort to install a molded radiator hose. That is a good sign of attention to detail that will show up in other areas.

Bernie

I have to do my third oil change soon (1500 miles on the motor), but what I've done is jack the car slightly off the ground and loosen the bolt so it's hanging, then unscrew the bolt by hand while holding the jar. I'd gently lower the jar vertically and then tip it over slowly until the filter slides out into the pan. You have to have steady hands, my first time doing it I sloshed the jar and oil just went everywhere...

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

I made such a mess lowering the jar, it was almost comical.

On 4/11/2016 at 10:55 AM, SpecialEducation said:

Per the order sheet, Seminole Red was optional on all models and colors.  Without the build sheet for your specific car, I'm not sure how to prove which way it came, so go for it!

On the data plate the paint code for an all black car would be AAA.

A car with red wheels from the factory the three letter paint code will be followed by "-1"

Mine had black wheels from the factory. I painted them red

Edited by JamesBulldogMiller55Buick (see edit history)

On 4/17/2016 at 7:19 AM, Wooly15 said:

Gotcha. What's the best method of keep oil from going all over when initially taking out the old filter?

Don't loosen the bolt in the middle of the can.  ;)

10 hours ago, JamesBulldogMiller55Buick said:

On the data plate the paint code for an all black car would be AAA.

A car with red wheels from the factory the three letter paint code will be followed by "-1"

Mine had black wheels from the factory. I painted them red

Ah, now that's interesting.  The order sheet shows to add the 1 for red wheels, but I didn't know that would actually show on the dataplate (we don't have a "-1" there either).

wheel 1.JPG

wheel code.JPG

Ok, I may have just bitten off more than I thought with my new exhaust. My existing exhaust is single. I purchased the earlier mentioned set of manifolds that are for dual so I thought, "hey what a good time to upgrade." I know I'll need new hangers on the driver side, but I just realized my bumper isn't correct. Anyone ever cut out the ends of the bumpers to fit the pipes? My chrome is in bad shape back there so that's not an issue. I bought the pre fab exhaust so I would assume it's made to factory specs to the bumper ends. Other than that and hangers, any other issues I should be ready for?

Adam

Find a different rear bumper.  The exhaust tips for the duals are actually attached to the bumper brackets, and are not easy to find. There is a second set of tips that are factory authorized and roughly resemble the correct tips.  I think they were actually made for the single exhaust cars as the others would have come with the aforementioned tips. The 2nd set clamps to the exhaust pipes themselves.  These are easier to find but still getting scarce.

Make sure you get a bumper from a Super or Roadmaster.  The Special and Century do not fit your car.