Brian_Heil

Starter Generator

Brian,

I saw your S/G chart and noticed there are 2 different S/Gs for 1922 4 cyl. The D-236 for early and D-231 for late. Is there a plate on the S/G with what model it is? I would like to find out if I have an early or late 1922 Model 36. The engine number is 831677. Would like to know what month it was made in? 

Thanks,

Gary

No idea on build dates.  Best guess is to look up start and stop serial numbers for a model year and do the math to approximate a date.

The S/G # is stamped on the outside of the case casting where you can see it in the car.

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)

WOW, as a new member on the forum, I LOVE the information about Buicks of my era, 1923 model 45.  The information that you share is great.  I tour my '23 about 800 miles per year and in the winter try to fix what I can.

Happy to help Tom.  You have my number, call anytime, although today, my phone seems to be acting up for some reason.

As a follow-up for the touring year, I never had to touch the S/G.  Works like a charm.  Toured all Summer and Fall and what a wonderful Fall we had here.

This Winter's project will be valve cage rebuild.  The 'lap-in' of the valves I did after the burnt/stuck exhaust valve on the Virginia VMCCA Nickel Tour did not last.  The cage stem guides are just too worn and the valves are not seating in the same spot every time due to this and the seat leaks then burns on the exhaust valves.  This is a good problem to have, since it means in 20 years I've driven my car so much having fun, I've worn out the cages.  :P

I will start a new thread on valve cage rebuild.  First, I have a  25 year old non starting snow blower tractor I need to get figured out before the white stuff starts to fly.

On 13 April 2016 at 7:21 AM, ROD W said:

Brian,  Here,s the Delco Service Manual for your car

1923-24 s:g a.jpeg

23-24 s:g.jpeg

Hi Rod, Does this manual also cover 23-4-35  / D-251?  Thanks Norm

• Like 1

Norm,  I don,t think I had the Delco Manual for the four cylinder s/g.  All my literature is down on the farm in N,S,W and I won,t be getting down there for another month.

Rod,  Thanks for searching this out (just the two pages ?), have you seen a  Delco Piece Parts Catalog - Buick 1923 in your travels ?,

If you are considering parting with it  please let me know....  Many Thanks Norm