crazycars

1936 DeSoto Airstream Fixed Windshield ??

Just brought home a 36 Desoto Airstream 4 dr sedan in very nice original condition. Strangely enough, this car has a fixed windshield not a crank out.  I have been searching for a windshield gasket but all suppliers only have the crank out variety and have never heard of a fixed windshield for this model.  There is no cranking knob on the dash or hinges at the top of the windshield.  Anybody out there have any experience with this and could possibly point me to a gasket source?

I believe that the 1936 DeLuxe Airstream has the crank out windshield and the 1936 Custom Airstream has the two piece, fixed windshield with the vertical, dividing bar. I would try Steele Rubber Products for a possible source for the gasket.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Thank you for taking the time to write.  I did try Steele but they only have the crank out type. The good news is that, thanks to you, I now have identified my Desoto as a Custom Airstream!

You might just be able to get a seal from a windshield place since it is the fixed type of windshield.

If you have the old gasket and it's no good, cut a small section out to see the profile, then you should be able to find a gasket that might work. Restoration Specialties as well as other parts houses carry bulk profiles to make your own gaskets.

• Like 1

Are you sure you have an Airstream DeLuxe?  The DeLuxe models did not have a fixed windshield but had the one-piece unit that could opened. 

The Airstream Custom models had a fixed windshield, but they were two piece.

Does the serial number on your car start with a 5 or a 6?

Does Steele list a gasket for a 1936 Chrysler Airstream sedan or coupe?   The Chrysler Airstream used the same 2-piece windshield on their DeLuxe and Custom sedans and coupes so the Chrysler windshield gaskets will work on a DeSoto Custom.  Only the convertible coupes and sedans had a one piece windshield on the Chrysler Airstream.

Problem is that it is not a crank out windshield, it's a fixed windshield. The suppliers, including Steel, only carry the gasket for the crank out model not the fixed one like mine.

I also have a 1936 Desoto airstream custom (basket case). When I got it there were no windows in it at all. I purchased windows but the windshield has a frame on the inside the best I can figure its to hold the glass and rubber in place. Do the 2 windows which make up the windshield have individual frames? I ask because there is about a 3/4 inch gap between the inner frame and the outer part of the body which the rubber will seal against. Seems like a very large gap for the window and the gasket. The window rubber I purchased from Bernbaums appears to have a lip that will extend over the front of the body, and I may need to  carefully trim a couple of notches it to clear each of the wiper arm stands. I have searched this rubber for the fixed split windshield for about 2 years and have several friends looking also and I believe they are not re-producing this part.

On 6/12/2016 at 5:25 PM, Bart55 said:

I also have a 1936 Desoto airstream custom (basket case). When I got it there were no windows in it at all. I purchased windows but the windshield has a frame on the inside the best I can figure its to hold the glass and rubber in place. Do the 2 windows which make up the windshield have individual frames? I ask because there is about a 3/4 inch gap between the inner frame and the outer part of the body which the rubber will seal against. Seems like a very large gap for the window and the gasket. The window rubber I purchased from Bernbaums appears to have a lip that will extend over the front of the body, and I may need to  carefully trim a couple of notches it to clear each of the wiper arm stands. I have searched this rubber for the fixed split windshield for about 2 years and have several friends looking also and I believe they are not re-producing this part.

The front fixed two piece windshield had a metal channel that made a chrome strip that outlined the front window.  This is likely the material you are missing that takes up the 3/4 inch gap.  It did not use the rubber  with the lip, that Berbaum sold you. The rubber for the front fixed window, I have never been able to find.  

As a side note, I found Berbaum not to be a very reliable source these cars, and he has sold many parts to me that do not ft.

Edited by VW4X4 (see edit history)

VW4X4,

Thank you for your information. I have experienced Bernbaums ability to supply incorrect parts such as the windshield rubber, and  I had them cut all the glass and the 2 rear door windows were the only ones to fit. Am still dealing with them to get it right.

I have found what looks like 2 aftermarket window frames that I may be able to use, because they have the basic shape and not sure what vehicle it came from. Would you happen to have a picture of the windshield frame?  I have attached a few pictures of the frame I found, the only issue will be getting the seal for it, and also a picture of the inside frame I believe is to be mounted next to the windshield frame on the inside.

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

Bart55,

I had to go find these.  You can see they are in very bad shape, but these parts were saved only for this event, (to be used as a pattern)

It sure would be nice to find a replacement for this.  The chrome around the window frame is very impressive compare to the other cars from Chrysler at that time period.

What  you have is a very close match.  I can take better measurements if you like.  A quick tape measure shows about .4"

across the bottom and .6"  up the inside edge.  This channel had rubber on BOTH inside and outside.  The rubber on the inside was clearly just cut from a thin sheet to protect the glass. You could easily cut this yourself out of the right thickness of rubber sheet.  The outside rubber is the real problem.  The outside rubber covered the entire metal channel  and even had a lip that protruded to the outside. You can see a little of what is left of the lip it in all three pictures. One last thing. The name AMCO is stamped on this channel

several places.  Sure would be a huge success to get all this back the way it was made.   Please keep this page updated if you have any luck.

Eric

Pgh. PA

111DSC00055.JPG

222DSC00060.JPG

333DSC00061.JPG

Thanks Eric for this valuable information. I believe I either have an original or a very good re-pop. I compared the measurements you sent and they are the same dimensions best I can tell. On the frame I have though in the pictures I attached there are "tabs". There were 3 when I found them but 1 has broken when I tried to straighten it. I may have to Tig it back on if it is needed. The frame also has the small 1/4 inch vertical tab sets and  "AMCO" stamped in several places. This car was a basket case when I got it and have been assembling it from pictures of completed cars. The windshield frame has been a big mystery and you have helped immensely. I am going to sketch a seal from the pictures you posted and send to Steele rubber. Maybe they can reproduce it now that the design of it is more clear. Will post on here if I am successful.

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

Gents,

EUREKA!!

I went on Steele rubber company website and decided to look for a generic rubber channel I may be able to use for the weather strip for the windshield. Well as I was looking through all the products, I stumbled across the CORRECT windshield rubber. Its in the universal section. It has a drawing and picture of the rubber, so I checked the dimensions against my frame and it will fit perfectly. It is $4.40 per foot. PN- 40-0015-52.  Check it out,  it is an exact duplicate rubber remnant as seen in the pictures posted above by VW4X4

Jack

Gents,

I ordered and just received the windshield gasket from Steele Rubber products. I do not know why they do not list this in the 1936 Desoto Airstream category for split windshields. It fits perfectly. I cut a small piece to show the fit. I will be installing this week. The rubber is very pliable and should conform to the corner radius's without a problem. 

Jack

Missouri

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

Gents,

Finally got my windshield installed. The Steele gasket fit perfectly. I have added a couple of pictures with the install completed. There is no way 1 person can install this windshield. I also found that it is necessary to lay the windshield on a large piece of plywood Insert the glass in the frame then install the rubber around the frame, with the center blocked up with the divider gasket installed to mimic the "V" as it would be installed in the car. Insert a soap soaked rope under the lip that will face the outside. It takes 2 people to maintain the angle of the glass and then install into position in the car.  A 3rd person will pull the rope slowly to pull the rubber lip over the body all the while the 2 people in the car holding the glass by putting minor pressure to hold it in place,. Once the lip is completely over the body, install the interior frame. If not the windshield frames will slowly move away from the opening and fall inside the car. This rubber should be cut a little long so that where the ends will meet under the divider bar will not have a gap. I am sure there are more experienced people than me installing this windshield, and maybe I was doing it the hard way, but the end result I am very happy with.

Good luck installing yours.

Jack

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG