Tools for oil change, 1962 Olds 88 394.1 engine

gregleck

In 1980, I owned a 1962 Dynamic 88 and being a struggling college student, used to do a lot of the maintenance and repair work myself.

I recall that the oil drain plug was round, and I used to use a pipe wrench to remove and tighten it.

After the oil was drained out, I would remove the oil filter.  This was tricky because there was very little clearance between the sides of the spin-on canister filter and the engine.

I recall having to reach over a suspension or axle part with the oil filter wrench, and only the most basic, thinnest wrench would work.  Those which were designed to fit over the end of the canister, or the ones with big, fancy handles and better eronometric design, simply would not fit into the tiny clearance and would not work.

Thirty-six years later, I have just bought a 1962 88 and am going to change the oil.

1.  Is there a special tool to remove the drain plug, or do others also use a pipe wrench for this model?

2.  What type of wrench is recommended for the oil filter removal, and where can I find one?

3.  Does anyone know the make and part number of the replacement oil filter I should be using for this car?

Thanks,

Greg

9 hours ago, gregleck said:

In 1980, I owned a 1962 Dynamic 88 and being a struggling college student, used to do a lot of the maintenance and repair work myself.

I recall that the oil drain plug was round, and I used to use a pipe wrench to remove and tighten it.

After the oil was drained out, I would remove the oil filter.  This was tricky because there was very little clearance between the sides of the spin-on canister filter and the engine.

I recall having to reach over a suspension or axle part with the oil filter wrench, and only the most basic, thinnest wrench would work.  Those which were designed to fit over the end of the canister, or the ones with big, fancy handles and better eronometric design, simply would not fit into the tiny clearance and would not work.

Thirty-six years later, I have just bought a 1962 88 and am going to change the oil.

1.  Is there a special tool to remove the drain plug, or do others also use a pipe wrench for this model?

2.  What type of wrench is recommended for the oil filter removal, and where can I find one?

3.  Does anyone know the make and part number of the replacement oil filter I should be using for this car?

Thanks,

Greg

The oil drain plug has an eight-point recess in it. While there is a special tool, simply use a 1/2" square drive ratchet without a socket to unscrew it.  The 1/2" square drive fits four of the eight points and works just fine.  A pipe wrench is NOT the correct tool for any Olds drain plug.

Auto parts stores have a variety of oil filter wrenches.  Your local NAPA store also has the correct NAPA Gold oil filter.  Wix is another quality filter option, available just about everywhere. Wix makes NAPA Gold filters.

Thanks.  Back in college, I carried a set of Thorsen sockets in a plastic case, along with pliers, wrenches, and a phillips and slot screwdriver set.  I think it was a promotional kit.

The socket drive was 3/8 drive, which is why I never figured out an alternative to the pipe wrench!

Well, changed the oil yesterday.  Filter was just as difficult to get a wrench on as I remember from 35 years ago!

1/2 drive socket handle worked great, except it got stuck in the drain plug after removal and it took me ten minutes to extricate it.  I think I will go back to the pipe wrench.

Filter change is a pain as, as you noted, there is not a whole lot of room to get a filter wrench on that baby.  I believe that "back in the day" the oil filter had a nut tack welded on the bottom of the canister, which made for an easier removal?

• 3 months later...

You are right, Dave - there was a nut attached to the top of the filter.

My Dad had a '62 Olds 98 in 1965 and he used to change his own oil.  One of those filters never got used and sat in the garage for decades.

In 1985 I was in college and home on break and driving a '62 Dynamic 88.  Decided to change the oil and came across that unused filter.  Since it fit and it was going to save me about $2.50 I took it out of the original box and used it.  Now I am sorry I didn't keep it just for display.

Somebody did keep their store display, though

Hastings Oil Filter.jpg