Engine paint - 1964 buick Special V6

kenm45

FYI - The paint CARS LLC or inc comes from Bill Hirsch and they just relable it.  I asked the salesman at CARS what to thin it with - he said he had no idea.  I asked if it was from Hirsch and he said it was.  Hirsch has a downloadable pdf on the paint it sells.A bit of laquer thinner did the trick btw.

On April 7, 2016 at 10:02 AM, kenm45 said:

Looking for the correct color and a source for rattle can engine paint for a 1964 Buick Special V6.

….. despite the mantra party line, the correct color hue, tone and gloss for a nailhead engine color of any vintage, does not exist in a pre-mixed  spray or can.  You have to tint it yourself or just suck it up and grab what they are 'telling you' is correct and spray it out and be done with in in a couple hours.  Now we realize this is almost heresy to think or state such a thing, but if you definitely desire absolute correctness, take the hours and hours which is needed and create the paint yourself by toning and tinting out samples to make the final and correct positive match …..

I can not say as to correct "hue"  for the nailhead.  The spray can color for the '50s straight eight, from cars, is spot on.  When doing my 1950  , I found a couple spots of original paint.  I then sprayed  a "splotch" of new paint next to it. Perfect match. My artist wife found no difference in the two. 

Ben

Please allow me to qualify my broad statements above.  I am not attempting to distant anyone regarding the paint someone sells nor the paint someone may purchase.  However, a few years back it was my experience after purchasing the 'correct' paint color from various sources that I concluded that if I wanted it to look like the original paint on my particularly well preserved original engine, it would need to be created via tinting out samples. I chose a catalyzed urethane and had the paint formula mixed by my local paint jobber, but found it could only serve as a starting basis.  I had used my valve cover oil caps which were in a well preserved condition and once 'orange juice cleaned' the existing paint on the rest of the engine itself and components appeared good so assertaining the correct color was easily done but had I started with a rusted hulk then this would of been impossible to do.  The quart of new paint was as mentioned, close but still noticeably off, so they gave me a few mls of green, white, black and blue toner tints and I set out matching the paint closer through trial and error. I did it this way because my engine and components  although good still had various areas where chips and the like were so I carefully sanded and blended in the newly tone matched paint so as to look like the overall other original areas.  Of course this bordered on insanity but for me, what's new ? So the paint that was available, was either just hands-down way too apple green or had just too much of that ford blue thing going on ( the dark or lighter version ).

Archived