heat shield idea

fordmerc

I made this  simple "heat shield" for the '41 120 after an episode of ?"vapor lock". ( I couldn't find any example of a heat shield for a 120 , although the seniors seemed to have them (?))

Is this a reasonable idea? Comments on the concept and the design would be appreciated.

heat shield (12).JPG

Edited by fordmerc (see edit history)

A bit late now that you've made it but a reproduction of the factory fuel pump heat shield for your 120 has been available for some years from John Ulrich Packard Parts.  You could look at the illustration in his catalog to see how it differs from yours (which I have no doubt will be as effective).

Heat shield looks good. I believe John Ulrich has reproduced them. Yours is good enough. Does your fuel pump have the insulation kit? Many of the pumps have over sized holes for the bolts to the engine. The kit consists of a thicker engine-to-pump gasket, insulating sleeves to fit in the over sized holes in which the bolts fit through, and insulating washers that go under the bolts' flat washers. This kit helps to keep engine heat from the pump. It is easy enough to make-up one.

The fuel pump heat shield looks like those that my '50s various Packards have so I doubt it changed much over the years. My 1939 Six also had the carburetor heat shield that Dave mentioned and here is a photo but I don't recall what the small holes to the side where for as mine had nothing there. Perhaps there was a choke control at one point. This was made of relatively heavy stamped steel, not simply sheet metal.

dscn0618.jpg

9 hours ago, JD in KC said:

I'm about 80% sure that from 1940-1950 the carburetor heat shield was only provided on the 356.

Now that I think of it, my 1939 Six did have a 1940 110 engine but it definitely had the heat shield under the Stromberg carburetor. It was the very heat shield in the photo I posted.