1918 DB driveshaft

Willy

Does the front part of the driveshaft move toward the back? I want to put the motor back in, and it looks like getting the universals together would be tough if the shaft doesn't. I am hoping I don't have to remove the spring to line up the shaft to the motor. Willy

Guest Gene French

Willy:

the ball socket on the transmission end of the drive shaft will telescope to allow access to the u-joint ...there is a leather boot that keeps the mud and water out of this sliding assembly ...often the boot has been missing and the assembly is frozen in place ...penetrating oil and patience will usually free this up and allow the ball end of the driveshaft to slide back several inchs for access ...see you in mid may to pickup the DB parts ...always an optimist ...gene french

Gene, I just found out that I am missing four (split) rims for my 1918. If you have any to sell me, could you bring them with you when you come? The fellow (?) is 24 1/4". I'm told my wheel, with rims should be 25". The ones I have are too small. Darn! I was just about to get the tires when I found out. If not, let me know as I need to start searching. I also found a new "DB" emblem that goes on the spare (disc) tire, so I'll put that with your stuff.  You now have three transmissions, one in pieces, in a box. There is also a '26 frame out back that still has the front axle and (broken) wheels, but possibly the bearings are still good - it turns nicely. Do you want me to start disassembling it? Willy

Guest Gene French

Willy:

i think i have sent my 25" Stanweld rims over to Dodge Brother Dan Chapasko ...i will look around to see if i have any additional rims ...the 24 i am working on had 24" wheels ...i have changed over to disc wheels ...will let you know if i find any rims ...will also check with several of the other DB owners in the area and will look at the Bakersfield swap meet ...always an optimist ...gene french