1964 Riv Mirror question

hermanangus

Were the side-view mirrors both optional? My car has neither, and it doesn't look like the drivers door ever had any mounting holes in it, although it may have been removed before the re-spray. If it was standard on all cars, I would probably re-install one, but if not, I would have to consider the safety ramifications of relying on the shoulder check.

The drivers side mirror was standard equipment.  The remote control drivers side mirror was optional.  If you removed your outer door skin which is fairly simple to do as it bolts on, you may be able to see the original factory holes.  The mirror was mounted up by the vent window.

I wish these cars had a second mirror on the passenger side. I've found that I use them a lot more than I thought I did. I think I've seen some manual mirrors that might work; just can't bring myself to drill into that door, lol.

Last year I saw a 65 with Scott Drake chrome bullet style mirrors on both sides. Very cool. That said, I seem to recall some ROA member complaining in a post that the placement of the passenger mirror is really tricky because of the vent windows on 63-64s. Basically, if you put the mirror in the place on the door that looks right and matches the drivers side, the vent window obscures the view to the mirror from inside. PRL

Once you remove the door skin you will KNOW if it originally came with a rear view mirror from the factory. There is a mirror mounting brace under there that's welded into place FROM the factory. And, as everyone is saying, "basically a right mirror i a waste.

Thanks Guys,

Tom I had a feeling that the car never came with a mirror, because as far as I can tell so far the only variance from stock is a in line electric fuel pump and homemade dual carb linkage(soon to be replaced). I couldn't see someone removing the mirror and filling the holes, especially on a car that hasn't been insured since 1996.  I will run with that assumption until some possible time in the future when I pull off the door skin.

20141009_084416.jpeg

Guest dwhiteside64

An interesting fact is the majority of '64s had the optional remote control outside mirror (approx 83%). 

I don't want to give out wrong information but I had never seen a Riviera without a mirror.  I don't think many came this way.  I do see that you have the optional turbine wheel covers on your car which is a nice option to have.  These bolt on to the rim so don't try and pry them off.  The spinner pulls off which will expose the lug nuts.

Pat et al,

Over on the Team Buick website, there's a complete list of all available options for the '63 Riviera; the '64 is the same except for the code numbers.

In '63, the "Basic group 1" option was D1, S7, T1.  D is the radio, S is the side mirror, and T is the white sidewall tire option.  If not checked, the car would have been delivered sans a radio, a mirror, and with black sidewall tires. 

"Basic group 2" added Tinted glass, power seat, and the remote trunk release to "Basic group 1.". 

Base Rivieras were built without side mirrors.  Unless they were ordered as an option you didn't get one.  You then had the option, as Tom points out, of having your dealer add a mirror.    Some of Jim Cannon's previous posts have eluded to this as well.

Ed

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

Pat et al,

Over on the Team Buick website, there's a complete list of all available options for the '63 Riviera; the '64 is the same except for the code numbers.

In '63, the "Basic group 1" option was D1, S7, T1.  D is the radio, S is the side mirror, and T is the white sidewall tire option.  If not checked, the car would have been delivered sans a radio, a mirror, and with black sidewall tires. 

"Basic group 2" added Tinted glass, power seat, and the remote trunk release to "Basic group 1.". 

Base Rivieras were built without side mirrors.  Unless they were ordered as an option you didn't get one.  You then had the option, as Tom points out, of having your dealer add a mirror.    Some of Jim Cannon's previous posts have eluded to this as well.

Ed

Ed,

My copy of the `64 wholesale car order form does not break down the options into packages as in `63. Other docs also list each option as ala carte. Do you have some documentation that there were group option packages in the `64 model year?

Tom

PS Ford, in their competition comparisons of the T-bird to the Riviera, points out the Riviera did not come equipped with a standard outside rear view mirror. It appears this was one of the ways Buick kept their base price as low as possible while fleecing the customer during/after purchase. Among other criticisms, Ford`s criticism of the lack of a standard outside rear view mirror is legit

3 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Ed,

My copy of the `64 wholesale car order form does not break down the options into packages as in `63. Other docs also list each option as ala carte. Do you have some documentation that there were group option packages in the `64 model year?

Tom

Tom,

I do not have any resource for the '64.  I'm doing the ASS (not U) ME thing thinking that there were so many things the same in the era.  I could be totally wrong, but ?????.  Perhaps some one else can come up with something.  Maybe Darren Whiteside, who has the '64 registry, can chime in with some info. 

If Hermanangus ever removes the driver's side door skin from his car, it would be interesting to see if has the plate on the back side to which Tom T. made reference.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest dwhiteside64
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 0:41 PM, RivNut said:

.......Maybe Darren Whiteside, who has the '64 registry, can chime in with some info. 

Hi Ed I've been trying to find something related to an option group or package for the '64s but haven't found anything yet. Everything seems to be a la carte, just as Tom described. The closest I came to finding a "package" would be the grouped options listed here:

B-6    front seat belts with retractors (B-1) / less heater & defroster (B-5)

B-8     less seat belts (B-3) / less heater & defroster (B-5)

B-9     rear seat belts (B-4) / less heater & defroster (B-5)

E-7    carpet savers-front & handy mats-rear (E-4) / rear seat speaker (E-6)

E-8    carpet savers only (E-5) / rear seat speaker (E-6)

H-3    cruise control (H-1) / cornering lights (H-2)

L-3     tilt steering (L-1) / rear window defroster (L-2)

O-8    deluxe steering wheel (O-4) / 4-note horn (O-7)

S-8    protection group-door guards (S-6) / remote control mirror (S-7)

U-8    power vents (U-6) / power windows (U-7)

I can't figure out why most of these were grouped together like they were, as many seem to be totally unrelated in function. I will keep looking though to see if something shows up somewhere.....

Darren

I hate the remote mirror on my car. There is no way to adjust it to where I can see anything out of it

unless I lean way forward and raise up out of the seat a little. I wish I had a manual mirror.....it could be adjusted

to where I can see something out of it because the whole mirror head swivels on the base.

Hi Folks

I read this thread with much of interest and was hoping to find some links or something ;-D...
In fact, I'm looking for a original extern mirror on the passenger side of my 65 Riv... Do you guys have any idea where to get such items? (...and  with a provider who is willing to ship to Switzerland??)

Thank you very much!