37 Pontiac Deluxe 6 Flexible fuel hose connection

kookie1

The old fuel hose screwed into the fuel pump but the other end was cut off and the rubber hose pushed over the 5/16" steel fuel line.    I want to replace the fuel line and  return it to the original fuel line hose with the metal threaded connections at both ends of the hose.    My problem is I have no idea what the metal connection with internal threads (1/2 x20 tpi) is on the metal fuel line side.    It doesn't look like an inverted flare tube fitting connection?    Can someone tell me exactly what Pontiac used for these fittings?    I'd appreciate any help!     Thanks.

I've been searching here for fuel line connections and one person suggested to another to put a bubble on the end (the first step in making a double flare) of the fuel line from the tank.     Is that what was originally used with the original flexible fuel line hoses?     Surely someone out there has changed their hoses.    Does anyone know for sure?

I would not use a NOS flex hose as they are not compatible with today's gas.  You can use a pressure union fitting on the old fuel metal line to match up to what you want to hook to it.  Check the fitting section at your local autoparts store.

Thanks, Kornkurt, I guess that's a better idea considering today's ethanol additive.      I haven't overhauled the fuel pump yet since it still seems to pump just fine but that will probably be the next upgrade.    I figure the two diaphragms there will be affected eventually and a new kit will allow me to rest easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Great!!   That's perfect and with a diagram to boot.    I thought I would have to use a push-on hose with a stainless clamp, functional but nothing like the original mechanical connection used back then.   Thanks, PetePontiac!     I appreciate the help!!