1947 Chrysler Windsor

47windsor

Are all the electrical connections good? How many volts at the coil? I have zinc plated brass connectors on steel bolts in my Stude and once the zinc corrodes (they are all wee galvanic cells) I get only 2 Volts at the coil. Earth connections to the engine OK? Are you getting fuel?

Best tell us what you have done so far.

Guest knuckleharley
23 hours ago, 47windsor said:

I have a starting problem weather the car is left overnight or for weeks, it still takes 17 cranks before it will start.??

Bruce Watson

Bruce,this is most likely caused by the stock fuel system. The carbs seem to go dry in a day or two,and it takes some time for the fuel pump to fill the carb with gas because the 6 volt system spins the engine so slowly.

The best solution to this problem is an electric fuel pump. You can get them in either 6 volt or 12 volt from your local NAPA store,as well as some other sources. If you do mount one,make sure you mount one of those devices whose name I can't think of now that shuts off the gas in an accident. All modern cars and trucks have them,so they are inexpensive. If you are not super knowledgeable about wiring I would suggest going to an aftermarket wiring harness manufacturer that supplies new wiring harnesses for hot rods and specify you are buying one for a positive ground 47 Chrysler. You won't need the whole harness,just the part that shuts off power to the new fuel pump.

Edited by knuckleharley (see edit history)

You do not have to use an inertia switch for a safety shut off of the electric fuel pump. GM and other manufacturers used an oil pressure sending unit to control the pump, loss of oil pressure shut off the pump.

If the fuel system does drain back in a day or two verify the flexible / rubber lines are not dry rotted or cracked allowing air to enter the system. My cars can set weeks and will start start with minimal cranking time.

• 2 weeks later...