63 Riviera rear disc conversion using scarebird bracket, eldorado calipers.

Guest Benny63

Guest Benny63

Hey guys.

I've just completed front and rear Disc conversion on my 63 Riviera.  I just wanted to show you guys how it looks. I was making this video initially to help those guys who are using the 79-85 Eldorado rear calipers with built in E-brake. I'm using scarebird brackets front and rear. 71 Deville front calipers with 95 GM 1/2ton truck rotors, and on the rear we have 76 T-bird rotors with 79 Eldorado calipers. Only minor machining needed to get everything to work on the rear. Hope you guys like the video.

Benny.

I just noticed the link is working. If you type 79-85 Eldorado Rear Caliper on 63 Riviera fix on YouTube my videos will come up. There are 4 parts. Part 1 has the clip with them on the car. Happy viewing.

Edited by Benny63 (see edit history)

Very good video ......trying to explain that GM parking brake system is difficult, the pictures should help.   I have had a few apart but don't recall any having the thrust washer with the ball bearings....maybe GM cost reduced it in later years, that same design was used thru the end of 1991 Reatta production and I believe around 92-93 there was a simpler design.

The key word here is change your brake fluid....as soon as a little moisture starts corroding those internal parts the automatic adjustment stops working

I have a 4 wheel disc brake  79 Trans Am with the same type rear setup and over the years it has

been nothing but one giant headache trying to keep it all working. I'd like to do a conversion on the T/A.......to put drum brakes

on the back!

Guest Benny63
On Friday, April 01, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Seafoam65 said:

I have a 4 wheel disc brake  79 Trans Am with the same type rear setup and over the years it has

been nothing but one giant headache trying to keep it all working. I'd like to do a conversion on the T/A.......to put drum brakes

on the back!

What seems to be the issue that's steering you away from rear disc Seafoam.?

The rear calipers are prone to leaking, and the emergency brake will get to where it doesn't

work properly, even if the car is driven very sparingly. Over the years I've had caliper leaking problems about four  times...emergency

brake problems about four times.....this on a 48,000 mile car. The four wheel discs are part of the WS6

option on my 79 T/A, and it's the same setup you are using. I hope you have better luck than I've had

with mine.

IMG_1616.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

I had a 79 Caddy Fleetwood with this type of rear discs many years ago. I also had major problems with leakage and e-brake not holding adjustment even after rebuilding and buying rebuilt calipers. The solution was finding two NEW pistons rather than rebuilt, they have internal seals due to the built-in e-brake that apparently didn't rebuild well. Not sure what is available today, hope it works out for you.

Guest Benny63
18 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

The rear calipers are prone to leaking, and the emergency brake will get to where it doesn't

work properly, even if the car is driven very sparingly. Over the years I've had caliper leaking problems about four  times...emergency

brake problems about four times.....this on a 48,000 mile car. The four wheel discs are part of the WS6

option on my 79 T/A, and it's the same setup you are using. I hope you have better luck than I've had

with mine.

IMG_1616.JPG

Sorry to hear man. Yeah I can see why you'd prefer drums again. Fingers crossed I don't have those issues but if I do I'll be sure to sort them out. 

• 1 month later...