Engine swap?

Guest bobbydesoto

Guest bobbydesoto

Hello I have a 1950 Desoto custom club coupe. It has a 6 cylinder engine. I purchased a 291 4 barrel desoto hemi and transmision in hopes to replace my straight 6 for more horsepower and a new retro Rat rod look. Can a 291 Desoto fireflite hemi fit a 1950 Desoto custom coupe. If so what is involved? Thanks again

Bobby Desoto

The steering box is just the beginning.  Got radius rods?  The oil pan will occupy the same space.  You will have to split the 'bones' if the font end stays orginial.  Many other things.  As suggested, I would take your engine swap question over to a site that deals with cars built as hot rods, street rods, restorods, etc.. They're good people, they just look at cars differently than the guys on this forum.

Unfortunately your car was made for a 6 cylinder only. If your DeSoto was just one year newer it would have an engine compartment designed for a V8.

As they say, anything will fit in anything if you have enough tools, talent, time,  parts and money. But you would be way better off selling your car and buying a car with a V8. Or keeping the six in your present car.