Top Pull Down

Budtee

I have read in previous posts that GM trunk pull-down device is the same as our top pull down device.  Does the trunk pull down use the same relay?  I have replaced the plastic hosing on top of the motor and the paddle switch and still have problems. I am presently in Texas (car is in PA) and there are a lot of salvage yards and some allow you to take the parts off.  Thought I might try to get one before heading home. 

The GM trunk pull down is very similar. What exactly is going on with yours? I have used a GM trunk pull down motor in my 1 TC with success. Some will argue that the newer style stuff isn't as strong etc. I have no proof either way, but the way I look at it is that if the top is adjusted correctly, and the pull down is adjusted correctly, then there shouldn't be a lot of strain on the motor and when it locks down, that's a mechanical lock. The motor is not responsible for holding the top.

"Does the trunk pull down use the same relay?"

Depending on which relay you need, it does if you can get one out of a car that's old enough. The little black holding circuit relay that makes the thing work without having to hold the button down is readily available new. Cad trunk pull down from a salvage yard it's found on the wire harness within inches of the motor, getting to the power relay isn't as easy and it probably won't be the same.

The metal can relay that attaches to our mechanism frame was used for a short period of time in a lot of GM cars in the mid 80's and hasn't been available new since the mid to late 90's. I saw an $89 + shipping new old stock relay on ebay last fall. A new universal replacement relay with plug connect is about $9 and if you're not going for a 100 point show car it's not worth the money. If this relay is your problem you can look for an old style GM power window/seat relay with the same plug connect in a salvage yard, or you can change the plug connect and replace with new.